05

Daniel nervously glanced behind him before he stepped into the one bedroomed apartment. He had never been so quick in securing a door lock in place. With a shaky breath, he turned around to fully face her. "Yvonne, what do you mean by you're pregnant?!"

Yvonne – the first lady he had slept with after Eda at the club, and the only lady he found himself going back to among all other flings he had. She was the only one who played hard to get and she had made all his nights worth it.

Until now, at least.

Yvonne's face was flushed from all the tears she had shed. She sniffled. "My period is more than a month late. I thought I was just stressed but my body has been sensitive lately so I just went ahead to do a test. It came out positive. I can even show you."

Daniel wanted to scream. "How are you sure it's my baby sef?"

She was taken aback and it was as clear as day. "Daniel, are you mad? I haven't slept with anyone since you and I had sex the last time. I told you to be careful and use a condom."

His words came out as a hiss. "And you told me you were on the pill!"

"I warned you, Daniel. I told you to still be careful! You took advantage of the fact that I was tipsy and I didn't realise what you had done until it was too late. If anyone is at fault here, Daniel, it is you and you know it!"

Daniel stared hard at her and she stared right back. He then rubbed a hand over his face and stepped back. "Wetin we go do now?" He asked a minute later. "I can't afford a child now, Yvonne."

"And you think I can!?"

"Better for us then." He didn't even hesitate to say "We'll abort it."

She paled. "Daniel, do you know how risky that is?"

"What do you want me to do? Marry you?" He laughed dryly. "Just because I sleep with you more than I do with other people doesn't mean I love you, Yvonne. I love your body, that's all. You getting pregnant was not part of the deal. You shouldn't have told me you were on the pill in the first place. I would have been careful if you had just kept that piece of information to yourself."

She recoiled. "Daniel!"

"See," He took a step forward and put his hands on her shoulders. "We can't keep this child, Yvonne. If you want to keep it, fine. You go just remove me from the equation. I no want pikin and I no wan marry. I don tell you my own na."

Yvonne couldn't look more hurt than she did in that moment. Her eyes glassed over with tears and her expression was pained. Daniel squeezed her shoulders hard enough to make her flinch. His heart was still thumping in his chest. He just had to make her yield.

"Yvonne, we have to let go of this baby. You have career plans and so do I. We both have reputations to uphold. Dis kain tin na mess up. You suppose know how we go run am na. Na to just find one doctor. It won't even take long. I can ask Emeka to –"

She shoved him with whatever strength she had. "Get out."

"Yvonne, see –"

"Get out!" She screamed. "It's God that will punish you, Daniel. My parents and my friends warned me to stop fornicating but I did not listen."

"Yvonne, I'm only offering a –"

"Get out of my house!" She pushed him towards the door. "Don't ever call me again. Don't text me. Don't even try to look for me."

She opened the door and pushed him out. Daniel turned around. "Yvonne, we can't keep this child. I've told you, it's your fault that –"

"Mark my words, Daniel. You will suffer." Tears streamed down her cheeks. "God has not started punishing you. You will suffer, I swear."