03

Six Months Later...

"Our man of the month is here!"

Daniel could not stop himself from laughing as he made his way into the private booth of a new club in town. His friends cheered loudly and he received pats and slaps on the back. He was proud of himself too.

Emeka popped open a bottle of champagne as he asked "How many now?"

Daniel smugly picked a glass so his friend could fill it up. "254."

Another cheer followed and more pats. The booth was crowded with men and women alike. It had become a routine now: work from Monday to Friday and then get wasted on Saturday night while counting their latest accomplishments.

"Actually," Daniel brought the glass to his lips. "Make it 258. I had 4 of them today."

"Opor!" It was Shola. "No one can beat your count, my guy. 4 girls in one day! Òmò!"

"Daniel no be our mate again o." Emeka said as he filled the glasses held out. "E don become Port Harcourt Casanova. Before we know it, e go don fuck all the girls for dis state."

Daniel laughed again. "Abeg, I no fit. You wan kill me?"

"Na true na!" Ohvo – another friend of his – shouted. "258 in six months! Daniel, show us the way na."

Daniel laughed yet again. Emeka popped open another bottle. "I don tell una. Daniel no be our mate again. Our guy don sleep with every type of woman. The black one o, the fair one, the rich one o, the poor one o, the one wey get sense, the one wey no get sense, the single, the engaged, the married, the widowed, the divorced. E don fuck all of dem!"

Daniel took a seat and removed his jacket. "Make una leave me. I don dey eye one girl sef. She dey on top dance floor. After this, I dey carry am go house."

There was no way they were not going to cheer about that. They raised their glasses in a toast to more women and the best that was yet to come. When they relaxed, Daniel spoke up. "So how far, guys? What have you guys been up to?"

"The usual na." Caleb replied. "Work. Rest. Spend. Fornicate. You know how we dey roll na."

"Pesin wey dem don promote to Team Leader no dey our level again na." Emeka said and hit Daniel's back. "I don dey tell una, dis man no be our mate again."

Daniel shot his friend an amused look. "Emeka, how many drinks you don take dis night?"

Seun snickered. "You no go get the real answer. No just bother."

Emeka took a large gulp of his champagne, wiped his chin and pulled one of the women onto his laps. As his hand disappeared into her shirt, he spoke. "Make I gist una. I go market on Wednesday. I be wan stock up on my stuff for house. Na so I jam Kevwe and Lamosi. Una remember dem abi?"

"Aren't they Imelda's friends?" Seun asked.

Daniel suddenly hated the taste of the champagne. Emeka nodded, his hand very busy under the woman's shirt. "Yes o. I shock ehn. Kevwe be wan beat me. Thank God she no try am sha. I for deck am."

"Imelda no dey with dem?" Shola asked. "She dey always follow dem na."

Daniel tilted his head back and downed the remaining bubbly liquid in his glass. Emeka nodded. "She no dey with dem. I shock sef. I ask where she dey and Kevwe just dey look me. Na Lamosi tell me sey Imelda don go abroad."