Chapter 15: The Truth

Sammy's POV~

What Tanner just told me kept replaying in my head. Is it true? I mean it has to be true since he was forced to be, practically, best friends with Annabelle. How could Daniel do this to me? 

~Flashback~

"You see, Daniel was never ditching you to hang out with some friends," Tanner said.

"What do you mean?," I asked.

"He never made any friends, only one, Annabelle," he told me.

Excuse me?!

"So, you're telling me that all of that time, he was just ditching me for Annabelle?," I asked.

His answer was a long, slow nod.

"I can't believe this," I said.

"Wait, how do you know all of this?," I asked.

"Annabelle and I are next door neighbors and our parents are the best of best friends, so I've had to hang out with her a lot, maybe even too much," he told me.

"So, she basically told you all of this?," I asked.

"Yeah, but sometimes our parents would make me go with them, but I would just bring a friend with me so we could toss the football or something," he said.

"How long did this go on?," I asked.

"It probably started in 5th grade," he said.

My mouth dropped to the floor.

"Are you serious?," I asked.

"Yeah," he said.

"So all of those important events he missed, it was because he was hanging out with Annabelle?," I asked.

"I guess," he said.

"I can't believe him," I said, shocked at all of this.

~Present~

"Sammy? Are you okay?," Tanner asked.

"What? Oh, yeah, I'm fine," I said.

"You sure?," he asked.

"Yeah, let's just go somewhere else," I said.

We walked out of the mall and just walked around town for a bit.

"So, I'm guessing your mom still has that peach farm," I said.

"Yeah. How'd you know?," he asked.

"Since we were little you've smelt like chlorine from swimming and peaches from your moms farm," I told him.

"That's what I smell like now?," he asked.

"Yep," I said.

"So, what are your plans for the rest of the summer?," he asked.

"I think I'm gonna go visit my Aunt Cindy in Seattle," I said.

"You sound like you just decided that," he said.

"I did, live life in the moment, ya know?," I asked.

"I've heard that before, yes," he smiled.

Except that's not the reason why I'm going. There's another reason. 

Tanner and I walked for a while. We walked until Kaytlin texted me saying they were back at my house.

"I need to be getting back home," I told him.

"Sure, want me to walk you back?," he asked.

"Nah, I've got it from here," I told him.

"Okay, bye," he said.

"See ya," I said.

I started my walk back home. I was kind of pissed about what Daniel did. But, I wasn't as mad as I was hurt. I mean, he missed a lot of things that I needed him to be there for. Some very important moments in my life. He missed my birthday for pete sake! I was so hurt that he put Annabelle before me. His best friend. Obviously I wasn't his best friend if he ditched me for her. He just wanted a friend to be there, at his disposal, whenever he was bored. Okay, calm down. Save your anger for what you're about to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha ha! Short chapter! It's a cliffhanger since you all begged me to update today and I will not be updating until tomorrow, hopefully. Anyway, I hope you like it! I love you all <3