Carnations

Another day, another slay ang atake ngayon ng senadora sa kaniyang opisina. She’s currently reading documents, reports, and e-mails about the recent issues. Her office is filled with a busy atmosphere, a normal person would get tired of being in her shoes for a few hours but Senator Risa remained determined. She inspected every paper effortlessly, not a single flaw in her work. But then a notification popped on her personal phone, pulling her out of her focused mantra. 

Sino na namang nag-message sa akin? She thought. She fished out her phone resting on the desk and opened it. It was a message from an unknown number. “Sino na naman ‘to?” 

 “Sino na naman ‘to?” 

“Oo, kilala kita.” Risa playfully rolled her eyes, kabog ang full introduction ng alkalde, in fairness sa kaniya ah. 

Risa hums accordingly

Risa hums accordingly. She looks at the message, wondering what could’ve happen to her personal phone. Could it be because she’s trying to obstruct something? An evidence perhaps?

 Could it be because she’s trying to obstruct something? An evidence perhaps?

Risa eyed the message, probably a lie. She decides to not press any further however, despite being curious. Mas lalo lang siya maii-stress. She heaves a sigh. A message popped up on her desktop too, it was from Senator Win Gatchalian. The mail reads: 

Greetings, Senator Risa. The Ombudsmann formally suspends Mayor Alice. ‘Yung attached file is yung order ng Ombudsman.

Pinindot niya ang e-mail at binasa ang panukala na i-suspende ang alkalde. Napa-simangot siya, matagal dapat sana nila itong ginawa. Nararapat lang naman talaga na ma-suspende ang alkalde, base pa lang sa mga ebidensya na malaki ang kaniyang pagkaka-sangkot sa mga POGO Hub sa Bamban. Sana nga ay may makuha pa silang mas matibay na ebidensya laban kay Guo sa susunod na Executive hearing na gaganapin sa June 25.

Pero, ang ilang parte ng kaniyang puso ay nalulungkot. Isa siya sa mga taong umaasa na maging maayos na ang lahat, humihiling na hindi siya banta. Loren’s suggestion crossed her mind once again “Just continue to date her”; “lord hindi ko na po kayang i-continue.” . She admits she doesn’t want to do it anymore; otherwise she’ll be damned. 

Damned for falling for that mysterious chinita. “Bakit ba kasi mapupungay ang bintana ng iyong mga mata?”. Random thoughts occured on her brain. She has been always knowned as an organized person, pero kung may papasok sa loob ng utak niya; for sure no matter how hard they try, they'll get lost. She is not impulsive, no, she's smart and she thinks everything through. Pero with Alice Guo, naguguluhan siya, hindi lang sa identity niya kundi pati na din sa kaniyang nadarama.

“Sen. Ri, good aftie, merienda po muna.” Her secretary says as she sets down the senator’s coffee and pastries.

The senator eyed down the coffee, it’s a new flavor she hasn’t tried before. “Anong lasa nito, Portia?”

Portia, her secretary, looked at the senator and flipped her long silky brown hair, “Syempre po, Kape.” 

“Bawasan ko kaya bonus mo?”

“Charot lang naman po ma’am, ano ka ba.”

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟 

The light of their vintage chandelier illuminates the room as the three of them eat. It was only Helena, Sinta, and their mother in the dining room. Their two other helpers are eating in the kitchen as well. Ang dalawa pang anak ng senador na sina Issa, at Kiko ay bumukod na ng kaniya-kaniya nilang tirahan.

It has only been one day ever since Risa explained to Sinta her relationship with mayor Alice. As always, her excuse was “She wanted to be friends with the mayor.”. Sinta was not convinced, but she let it pass. 

“Ma’am Risa” One of her helpers called. 

The senator paused from eating and chit chatting with her daughters, “Yes, manang Roi?” 

“May pinapabigay po si, Mayor Ali—”

Risa’s eyes widened when she realized who is it from. Her eyes signaled :“Manang Roi naman, mabubuking ako nito eh! Wag mong sabihin ang pangalan!!” which she guesses works because Manang Roi didn't continue.

“Uh, anong pinapapabigay?”

“Bulaklak po.” 

“Bulaklak?” Asked Risa and her daughter, Sinta, at the same time. Helena looked at them in confusion.

“Opo.” Manang Roi said, and Manong Ben, their driver, went inside with a large bouquet in his arms.

“For you po.” Manong Ben said.

“Ay— thank you.” Risa took it and it was a bouquet of purple carnations. The sweet scent overflowed her senses. A letter was attached to the bouquet too, it reads;

“Alam niyo po ba na ang symbol ng mga Purple Carnations ay unpredictability? Katulad po ng pag-mamahal ko sayo, unpredictable, yet beautiful”

“Kanino galing Ma?” Helena asked her mother who does not show any emotion while reading the letter.

"Oh, from a friend." She says as she settles the bouquet on the floor.

Sinta sips on her water then says, “I’m not aware na nagbibigayan na pala ng flowers mga magbe-besties ha. On a random day too.” 

“Anong nangyayari?” Asked by a confused Ianna.