Hindi ko po maalala

Police and Ambulance sirens were heard from a distance. Journalists and reporters swarmed the area; most of their cameras were pointed at the rattled mayor and the injured senator. Seimen was nowhere to be found however. 

“Risa... please, don’t give up” she cried to the older woman. “Risa, ‘wag ka munang umalis. Papatunayan ko pa na Filipino ako ‘di ba?” She said in between sobs. “Risa…” 

Alice cradled Risa in her arms. She was shaking, telling herself to calm down as she tried to give aid on the latter’s bleeding head. Not a moment later, the paramedics surrounded them to take the senator to the hospital. 

She could only hope for the best. 

𓆝 𓆟 … … …

Mag-isang nakaupo sa gilid ng labas ng kwarto ang alkalde habang naghihintay sa kasalukuyang kalagayan ng senador. Na sa waiting area naman ang ilang staff at kapamilya ni Risa, hinihintay din ang update.

She was fiddling her fingers the whole time, her eyes were getting red as tears slowly drop. Kung siguro lang ay naagapan niya ang pangyayari, hindi magkakaganito si Risa, kung siguro lang ay nailayo niya siya agad hindi siya mapupunta sa E.R. 

“Kung siguro lang hindi ko siya—” 

“Wapeh.” Sambit ng isang babae, nakatakip ang mukha gamit ng face mask.

“Ate?” Tanong ni Alice

“Inom ka muna. You look stressed” Shiela—Alice’s sister/cousin–, gave her a bottle of cold water. “Ayusin mo sarili mo.”

Alice rolled her eyes and scoffed. Shiela handed her wipes and Alice used it to wipe off the grimes from her face

“May update na ba sa girlfriend mo?”

“Pwede po mag-shut up ka muna?” 

Sheila laughed as she playfully nudged the younger woman; napangiti din naman ito habang pakunwaring tinatarayan ang kapatid. 

“Seriously, Alice, I’m telling you. Bumaba ka na diyan sa pwesto mo. You’ve proven yourself enough”

“Ayaw ko.” 

“You know naman ‘di ba? The more this continues, the more you’ll be left hanging on a thin thread. They won’t cover for us.”

Silence fell down to both of them. Alice furrowed her brows, contemplating on what to do. 

“Besides, don’t you want to be with Risa?” 

“Ayaw niya naman sa akin.”

“Ha-Ha, spy ka kasi.” 

Alice only glared at the woman’s sarcastic remarks. “So? Ikaw nga—”

They were cut off by the doctor’s presence, who’s now about to give updates regarding Risa’s status. Some of Risa’s staff went to the doctor as well. 

“Sorry to keep you waiting—” the doctor started, “Uhm— I’m sorry to inform you but Senator Risa is—” 

“Dead?!” Portia, Risa’s secretary exclaimed, it was followed by gasps, and Alice’s breath hitched. 

“No ma’am, na-comatose po siya.” 

Gasps were heard and Alice’s world shattered. She held her head, and embraced herself; tinungo na lang niya ang kanyang ulo at tahimik na humikbi. 

“Hindi naman fatal ang injury, although we still would like to take further examinations. We expect her to wake up after a week.” Tinapos ng doctor ang kaniyang report sa mga ka-anak ni Risa at umalis. 

Lumingon si Alice sa kanyang kapatid ngunit sa kanyang pagtalikod, nawala na lang ito na parang bula. Mga spy nga naman.

𓆝 𓆟 … … …

Isang linggo na ang nakalipas. At sa loob ng isang linggo na yon, ni-minsan ay hindi nawala sa isip ni Alice si Risa. Nagsi-sisi siya, nakokonsensya. Kung alam lang niya na mangyayari iyon gagawin niya ang lahat para maiwasan. She suddenly received a call from a particular person. 

Seimen Guo. 

“wa peh.” the person said on the phone.

“你个混蛋你为什么要这么做” 

(Why the fuck would you do that.)

“小妹妹,今天很热闹吧?”

(Bunso, very feisty today aren’t we?)

“我要杀了你” (I’m going to kill you) Alice aggresively replies.

“总有一天你会感谢我的, 郭华萍”

(You’re going to thank me someday, Alice.)

“Kahit kailan hindi kita papasalamatan.”

“Buking ka na Alice. I doubt you will survive”

“Forgive my french kuya, pero punyeta ka.”

Bago pa man makasabat ang kapatid ay ibinaba niya na ang telepono. Mukhang may mapag gagamitan na naman ang kaniyang Glock 17… 

Sa bawat pag patak ng minuto, kung ano-ano ang bumabagabag sa isip ng alkalde. She clutches the edge of the desk so hard its glass surface could crack at any moment. That man, Seimen, her beloved brother— thought that it would be a good idea to pull a stunt like that.

Para saan? Inutusan kaya siya ni Sara? He should’ve thought about it twice. People were already suspecting that Alice attempted to murder her even though she had no intentions.

Nahinto na lang ang kaniyang mga dinadamdam nang biglang pumasok ang isa sa kanyang kawani.

“Mayora!!!” Dali-dali nitong bigkas na para bang kating-kati na magsalita. “Gising na po si Sen. Risa.” 

𓆝 𓆟 … … …

“Risa?” Alice called out to her name as soon as she got inside. 

Reporters and journalists swarmed outside as soon as they heard that the senator was finally awake. Pero wala sa kanila ang pinahintulutan na pumasok. 

Helena was beside her mother, talking with her about random stuff and catching up while she was gone. The girl was no stranger to her mother’s strange relationship with Alice Guo so, hindi na siya nag-taka kung bakit nandito ang mayora. 

“I will be at the door, mayor.” She said to the older woman. 

Pagkalabas ni Helena, napa-luhod na lamang ang alkalde habang nakayakap sa kamay ng senador. 

“Risa…” sambit nito habang tumatangis. 

“uhm, anong pangalan mo?” Tanong ni Risa. 

Alice’s eyes widened, feeling a sudden rush of pain in her heart as she realized. 

“Hindi— hindi mo ako maalala?” Alice asked. 

“No, pasensya na.” Risa gently laughed.

“Hindi kita maalala.”