10

When C'thelli told him that they were to get up early, he had assumed that perhaps it would be an hour or two before they usually awoke. But when she drew back the shutters and failed to reveal any form of sunlight within the summer season, the term early felt more like a lie than an overstatement. With a groan and a gentler shove than usual, Feimo crawled out of bed and got dressed. His eye lingered over the purple square of dusk and towards the outline of the village. It felt like Dom's visit was only a minute ago. His voice continued to whisper through his ears like a perpetual breeze even when he was long gone.

"Are you dressed yet?" She peered from the doorway and caught his curious eye. 

He stammered out an affirmation and followed her down the stairs and into the garden. Her pink crystal illuminated the area, bathing the land beneath the tree in a warm hue. He watched it float out of her palm and into the air like an angel, and with that thought, Dom's voice returned in a shout. Heaven was evil, it needed to be purged of the tyrants above. That was the sermon he passed unto him. 

The priest's words hypnotised him and kept him still. He was unsure how long he had remained there in the doorway listening to a phantom worming in his ear, but C'thelli noticed. A weighty object hit him in the chest, startling him out of his trance as a practice sword tumbled to the ground. "Next time you're head will be clear enough to catch it." She muttered. Snatching up the weapon, he felt its weight in his palm as he ran a claw over the knicks within the dull iron. A perplexed glance towards the devil showed that she too possessed a similar tool.

"Sorry, I didn't sleep much, couldn't shake the idea that Hanley could grow taller if he wanted. So what's this all about?" He asked, treading into the ring of light.

"Dom and I figured, if you are to live here then it would be best for you to learn the humans' customs. France prides itself on manners, art and chivalry. So I will teach you them. First up is the weapon," twirling her longsword in her hands, she pointed it at him. "Are you ready?" The question came a moment before her attack. It was a swift thrust that prodded his shoulder and sent a shocking twinge across his body.

"Ok, so it's going to be like that is it?" He said mischievously. His sword swung in a horizontal slash. It whipped the air leisurely and caused the devil to backpedal with ease.

"Faster, Feimo. Attack like you mean it, fast and hard, like this!" Her wrist flicked up and sent the flat side of the steel cracking against the back of his hand. The sudden pain sprouted his hand open, causing him to drop it whilst he nursed his wrist. A soft grin raised the corners of her mouth as she lowered her guard. "If there's one thing you never do, it's drop your weapon. Come, pick it up, and actually try to strike me." She said with a knowing tone that irked him.

"Hey, it's easy for you, you've got God on your side." He argued, an exasperated groan left him as he doggedly took up the weapon again. She had the skill, the magic and the divine backing her. What chance did he stand?

"Seriously, you think God has a say on our training's outcome?" He shrugged, and why wouldn't he? He was omnipresent. He knew Dom's plans, keeping him weak was the simplest answer for self preservation. "Well you're wrong. I'm good at this because I put in the hours of practice." She muttered, raising her sword.

"But isn't that the point of it? Why follow a God that ignores you like a toxic lover?" He mirrored his Eye's posture, pointing the apex of the weapon towards her torso whilst he questioned the devil's choice of faith. 

Taking a step, her eyes searched his and found nothing but a perplexed curiosity. She threw up her weapon and aimed for his head. Prepared for the assault, he made to block it, leaving his ribs open for a sudden strike.