8

Father Dom breathed a sigh of relief as he stepped into the village square. Holding out his hand towards the blackened sky, the cool air caressed his skin. He always loved the night and it's deep colours. The purples and blues shimmering across the black expanse and the angelic stars twinkling between white and yellow. God was up there. Behind the moon, and the blanketing sky, God was watching. This was why he loved the night. During the day, the sun oppressed you, keeping you blind to what was out there. But now, he could see how close he was to his goal. His hand stretched out with a quivering desire. The bottom of the Little Dipper winked at him between his fore-finger and thumb. Each of them were as white as the other. God was waiting for him, and he was going to parlay sooner or later.

But that occasion wasn't nigh. Not yet anyway. So Dom set to his walk, clasping a bottle of a thick red wine, he greeted his friends and flock as they closed their shops and trickled into the tavern for a couple of drinks and food. But when he exited the village outskirts and soaked in the silence, his shoulders fell slack. Free from the pressures of leadership and joy, the priest listened to the whistling wind cruising through the rustling trees in the nearby forest, and the chirping crickets that were always out of sight. It was a humbling experience. No matter how well he knew his surroundings, or his abilities, there was something about the mangled silhouettes and clandestine sounds that engulfed him and reminded him that he was just as small a being as the rest of God's designs. It was daunting, and yet he had hope that some day he and everybody else would evolve.

Eventually the path led him towards the hill and onto C'thelli's door step. His knuckles grazed the coarse surface of the door and waited. Beyond the other side, a commotion arose. No doubt, Feimo and C'thelli were competing on who could insist on answering the door first. Now, gambling was a vice, and any man who bided for God's favour would never stoop to such a disheartening level.

 His money was on C'thelli. "Whoops, too slow!" The demon cheered, his voice grew more clear by the second until the door swung open in a sudden burst of movement and revealed the pale demon on the other side. A grin sported his lips as he threw his arms in the air and greeted him with an excessive amount of enthusiasm. "So, Pops, you ready for dinner?" He exclaimed with glee. The stench of meat and sweat was pungent on his frame, leaving a small delight to form within him. Tt appeared to him that C'thelli had recently instilled a trust in her attendant. Although, he was still a long way to go.

"Never stopped thinking about it. Though please, call me Dom. There is no need for such formalities." The priest muttered. He was mildly perturbed by the strange nickname. The demon pouted in disappointment before agreeing. He turned and stepped further into the house. Oh no. A small heat tinged his cheeks as he maintained his position outside. Earning a quizzical look from his host, embarrassment began to rise within him whilst the demon asked if he was going to join them. 

"Could you welcome me in?" He asked pensively. 

Judging from his puzzled gaze, he guessed that C'thelli hadn't told him about his condition. "I already have?" 

He couldn't help but chuckle. Leaning forward, he asked him if he could keep a secret before resting his hand on the solid barrier within the doorway. It was completely see-through and to the demon who met him, must have been an incredible miming act. Afterall, he had already opened the door. Realisation flashed in his eyes and the two of them chorused into a hum of misunderstanding. "You're from one of those time zones! How long do we have to wait until you catch up?" He asked.

"What?" He stuttered.

"Hopefully it won't take long, we don't want dinner to go -" He cut him off before he could continue.

"No, don't sit down! I'm a vampire, see?" He opened his mouth and displayed his fangs, "I need you to welcome me in so I can enter. There are no time-zones involved." He muttered with a tinge of irritation. He could smell the food beyond the living room, the scent of old blood coagulating within the meat was teasing to the senses.