chapter 4

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows over Mystic Falls as Damon and Alaric sat at the bar of the Mystic Grill. The hours had melted away, and the bar had emptied out, leaving just the two of them in their own world of shared pain and silent camaraderie.

"Another round?" Damon asked, his words slurring slightly.

Alaric nodded, his head bobbing lazily. "Why not? Here's to... whatever this is."

They clinked glasses and downed their drinks, each trying to drown their sorrows. As the night wore on, Alaric began to slump, his eyelids drooping.

"Ric, you're done," Damon said, his voice softer than usual.

Alaric mumbled incoherently, his head finally hitting the bar with a dull thud. Damon sighed, lifting his friend and supporting him as they stumbled out of the Grill. The walk to Alaric's apartment was slow and unsteady, but Damon managed to get him inside and onto the couch.

"Sleep it off, buddy," Damon muttered, pulling a blanket over Alaric before leaving quietly.

The Salvatore Boarding House loomed in the darkness, an imposing silhouette against the moonlit sky. Damon entered quietly, praying Stefan and Elena weren't there. The house was silent, save for the creak of the floorboards under his feet. Damon headed straight to his room, collapsing onto the bed. As soon as his eyes closed, the nightmares began—flashes of pain, captivity, and the cruel faces of his captors.

He woke in a cold sweat, reaching instinctively for his phone to call Klaus. But he stopped himself, pushing the thought away. Instead, he grabbed a stash of bourbon from his nightstand and drank until exhaustion overtook him.

The first light of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow over Damon's room. He was startled awake by a familiar voice.

"Why are you here, Damon?"

Damon groaned, rubbing his eyes. "Nice to see you too, little brother."

Stefan stood in the doorway, arms crossed and an expression of irritation mixed with concern on his face. "Seriously, Damon, why are you here?"

Damon forced a smirk, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Can't a guy come home to see his family? Where's the lovely Elena? Broken up already?"

Stefan's jaw tightened. "That's none of your business, but if it's any consolation, no. Elena and I are still together. She's at Bonnie's. They'll be here later. Now, why are you here, Damon? I thought Elena made it clear we don't want you here."

Damon sat up, his head throbbing from the previous night's drinking. "It's not always about Elena, brother. I'm here to see you. Aren't you happy big bro is here to see you?"

Stefan's eyes softened slightly, though his expression remained guarded. "You know things aren't that simple, Damon."

Damon's sarcastic facade slipped for a moment, revealing a hint of genuine hurt. "Maybe not, but I had to try."

Stefan sighed, stepping into the room. "You look like hell. What happened to you?"

Damon shrugged, avoiding his brother's gaze. "Had a rough time. But that's not important. What matters is I'm here now."

Stefan sat on the edge of the bed, studying Damon closely. "If you're really here to make things right, we'll figure it out. But it's going to take time."

Damon nodded, feeling a small glimmer of hope amidst the darkness. "Time's something I've got plenty of, brother."

As the morning sun rose higher, the brothers sat in silence, the weight of their complicated past hanging heavily between them.