betrayal

With confidence, Damon went into the boarding house.

He had been driven there by Elena's summons, a mixture of excitement and fear building within  him. There was a noticeable tension in the air when he entered the lounge instead of the warmth he had anticipated.

"Hey, everyone," Damon greeted, trying to play it cool despite the tension thickening the air. But Elena's next words hit him like a ton of bricks.

"Hi, Damon," she began, her voice softer than usual. "We need to talk."

Damon's heart skipped a beat. He'd heard those words before, and they never led to anything good.

"Yeah, I figured," Damon replied, trying to mask his nerves with a smirk. But Elena's next words shattered whatever facade he'd built.

"You know I love Stefan, right?" Elena's words hung in the air, heavy and painful, leaving Damon feeling like he'd been sucker-punched.

Damon forced a grin, but inside, he was falling apart. Why did this keep happening to him? Why couldn't anyone love him back?

eah, I know," Damon replied, his voice barely above a whisper.

"This has to stop, Damon," Elena continued, her tone firm but sympathetic. "You need to leave town."

Damon's heart sank. He looked to Stefan, hoping for some kind of support, but his brother's expression mirrored Elena's. It was over.

Stefan's agreement was like a knife to the heart. Damon felt the sting of betrayal, the crushing weight of loneliness settling over him like a suffocating blanket.

"I thought they were my family," Damon's thoughts raced, bitterness tainting his every word. "I was so stupid. No one will ever love me. Not even my own father. Who else is left?"

Stefan, his beloved brother, had always been the favored son, basking in the warmth of their father's affection while Damon languished in the shadows, starved of love and acceptance.

"Stefan was loved all his life," Damon mused bitterly, his heart aching with the unfairness of it all. "I will never be loved. I have to accept it."

With a sense of resignation that felt like a dagger through his soul, Damon turned away, his footsteps heavy as he made his way out of the boarding house. He had lost everything — his family, his love, his hope — all slipping through his fingers like sand.

And then, just as he thought things couldn't get any worse, he felt a sharp pain in his neck, and everything went black.