19. One Handed Man

"Checking on my niece... what... what?" Tate questioned as cersei moved closer. "If this is the moment you are finally fed up with my nonsense let me check on sansa first before you kill me." Tate requested.

"I dont want to kill you. I mean i do. I really do. But i also want to do this." Cersei grabbed the collar of his shirt and tugged him to her.

"I knew it." Tate's lips quirked up. 

"Shut up." Cersei corrected.

"I knew it."

"Stop it."

"I knew it."

"Tatum". Cersei growled

"One more time for the people in back!" Tate hollered. 

"Im liking you less and less," she warned.

"Liar." Tate countered kissing her again. "Its an odd phenomenon falling for the enemy-"

"Shut up." She begged covering his lips with hers.

Tate was in a great mood. It was funny how claiming the object of your desire makes your days better. That was until the object of Cersei's desire came home. 

"Jaime is back?" Tate questioned unable to believe his ears. 

"Magnificent." Jaime remarked looking over the sword

"Mm-hmm." Tywin agreed

"Looks fresh-forged." Jaime remarked

"It is." Tywin agreed again.

"No one's made a Valyrian steel sword since the Doom of Valyria." Jaime countered

"There are three living smiths who know how to rework Valyrian steel. The finest of them was in Volantis. Came here to King's Landing at my invitation." Tywin remarked nonchalantly.

"Why are you so antsy?" Sansa questioned. Tate glanced to her and caught Shae's vicious glare. 

"Your handmaiden makes me nervous." Tate answered sticking his tongue out at Shae. 

"No, thats not it." Sansa corrected. 

"Has Tyrion mistreated you?" Tate countered. 

"He's left me alone. He has been kind." Sansa assured. 

"Good, I thought I was going to have to drop kick him from the tower." Tate agreed.

"Where did you get this much Valyrian steel?" Jaime questioned.

"From someone who no longer had need of it." Tywin remarked smugly.

"You've wanted one of these in the family for a long time."

"And now we have two." Tywin agreed

"Two?" Jaime countered.

"The original weapon was absurdly large. Plenty of steel for two swords." Tywin remarked.

"Well, thank you. It's glorious." Jaime declared.

"You'll have to train your left hand." Tywin reminded him, his gaze shifting to the numb at Jaime's right. Tywin had never been more annoyed. He got his son back but Jaime wasnt Jaime anymore.

"Any decent swordsman knows how to use both hands." Jaime countered

"You'll never be as good." Tywin retorted, Jaime stared back at him.

"No. But as long as I'm better than everyone else, I suppose it doesn't matter." Jaime agreed

Cersei was frustrated, why couldnt jaime come back before she kissed Tate? Before his smart ass and cocky grin got engraved in her mind, before she had his lips on hers. But now he was back and... she didnt love him like she did before. She hated to admit it so she never would but she was falling for Tate Tully. Maybe she could convince her father that she shouldnt marry Loras but Tate instead, get them the rivenrun, that was a logical match. Her father would see that. 

"You can't serve in the Kingsguard with one hand."

"Where's that written?" Jaime mused, Tywin stared back at him annoyed. "I can and I will. The Kingsguard oath is for life."

"The war is over. The king is safe." Tywin countered, staring back at Jaime from behind his desk.

"The king is never safe. How many people in this city alone would love to see his head on a spike?"

"Other knights protected the king while you were a prisoner. They will continue to do so when you go home." Tywin offered

"Home?"

"You'll return to Casterly Rock and rule in my stead. You are the Lord of Casterly Rock. I am the King's Hand. My place is here." Tywin reminded him, who knew that Jaime's deformity would bring such a positive outcome the more he thought about it "I don't expect to see the Rock again before I die...''

"Father." Jaime countered. Although cersei has pushed him away he was still hoping cersei and him would see eye to eye. Being in love with someone for forever and then just being cut off was heartbreaking no matter how much time had passed "You know what they call me?" Jaime remarked.

"Kingslayer."

"Oathbreaker." Jaime corrected "Man without honor. Now you want me to break another sacred vow."

"You won't be breaking anything. There is a precedent to relieve a Kingsguard of his duties. The king will exercise that prerogative." Tywin assured

"No."

"No?"

"No." Jaime agreed.

"Hey." Tate said when he saw Cersei. 

"Your guard has been misplaced." Cersei answered tate did a slow spin. 

"What guard?" He countered. "You know I'm glad I ran into you, I definitely wasnt looking for you and trying to figure out where you would be so I could have this chance encounter with you." Tate added. 

"Oh, you didnt. Thats good to know." Cersei agreed, a smile tugging at her lips. He assumed she would be with Jaime but here she was, alone, smiling back at him. 

"I don't believe I asked you a question." Tywin countered.

"There's my answer." Jaime retorted defensively.

"If you think your bloody honor comes before--"

"My bloody honor is beyond repair, but my answer is still no." Jaime spat back. "I don't want Casterly Rock. I don't want a wife. I don't want children."

"What do you want?" Tywin countered thoroughly annoyed.

"Supper would be nice." Jaime mused.

"For 40 years I've tried to teach you. If you haven't learned by now, you never will. Go. If serving as a glorified bodyguard is the sum of your ambition, go serve." Tywin seethed.

"I suppose you want the sword back." Jaime remarked softly.

"Keep it. A one-handed man with no family needs all the help he can get."