1

The golden core is depicted as golden balls that emit wispy light. They are located under the solar-plexus bone in one's chest. Golden cores can store and control spiritual energy. The core forms after a certain point of cultivation, by using the body as a crucible to cultivate the core. After the formation of their golden core, the cultivator's level increases at a rapid speed; without a golden core, a cultivator can only be a low-end cultivator.

 After the formation of their golden core, the cultivator's level increases at a rapid speed; without a golden core, a cultivator can only be a low-end cultivator

Wei Wuxian is a cultivator who has such a strong cultivation base. He is considered fourth among his peers in terms of cultivation, and he has mastered the six arts. He is the head disciple of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect and is to protect the two children of the sect leader. The sect was recently attacked and the three were the only ones left alive. They hid away and one of the three, Jiang Yanli, fell ill, and another, Jiang Cheng, went missing. Wei Wuxian went to find them and found that their golden core was gone.

He found a way to help him and so he did what he could. A woman who was a fantastic doctor and very skilled, performed the surgery knowing that the success rate was only fifty percent. She felt bad that she couldn't use anesthesia otherwise the procedure would for sure fail. So Wei Wuxian was awake for the whole procedure. It took two days to complete. In the end, Jiang Cheng could cultivate again and was back up fighting in the war to come. Wei Wuxian, however, hid away. Wen Qing had him stay hidden and recover.

"What will you do now?" Wen Qing asked, "the war is coming."

"I cannot cultivate anymore so I am no longer of any help to them," Wuxian said, "I think it's best if I just disappear. Lotus Pier was massacred because of me and Jiang Cheng and Shijie would do better without me in their presence. I have long been told I am not good company so I think it's time I do as everyone says and leave."

"You should really think about it," Wen Qing said, "your mental state is deteriorating. You have suffered a lot of trauma, not just from your golden core being removed but seeing so many people you love and care about die."

"Which is why I wish to disappear," Wuxian said, "You have to understand that right? If I leave everything behind I can start over."

"What would you do if someone recognized you?" Wen Qing asked, "where will you go? With what money?"

"I have some money left from serving as the head disciple of the Jiang Sect. I will find a way to hide my face. A mask maybe. Or I'll make new charms and talismans to mask my appearance. I still have low spiritual energy so I can use those. As for where I will go, who knows, anywhere really," Wuxian answered.

Wen Qing sighed and went to a shelf to the farther end of the room. She opened a drawer and pulled out a small pouch and returned to Wuxian, "this is some savings of mine. You should take it," she said.

"I can't take your money," Wuxian said, "plus I have my own. I can make some money somehow."

"Please, as I am still with Wen Ruohan, I have more money than I could possibly need," Wen Qing said.

"You should use it to move your family. You know if Wen Ruohan loses anyone whose name is Wen will be targeted," Wuxian told her.

"Perhaps we could disappear together. Take our Dafan village and move them to a new place. Will you help?" Wen Qing asked.

"I will, it's the least I can do for what you have done for me," Wuxian said, "but are you sure?"

"What better way to hide away than in a group of people migrating to a new location?" Wen Qing said.

Wuxian nodded, "when did you want to get moving?"

"Well, you need at least one more day of rest before we can travel to Dafan. So we can head out tomorrow hopefully," Wen Qing said, "let me go inform Wen Ning."

"Alright," Wuxian said. After Wen Qing left the room, Wuxian just rested back on the bed. He placed his hand over his solar plexus and sighed, "I hope you live well, Jiang Cheng."

***

Elsewhere, a young man dressed in pristine white robes and a forehead ribbon with cloud patterns, and a sword in hand, stood there in his home. The Cloud Recesses was quickly rebuilt after being burnt to the ground. Surprisingly, this young man's residence was never touched during the ambush. His name was Lan Wangji. He was glad that his sect was back to life but he felt this odd sense of longing.

Ever since he left Xuanwu's cave, he had worried about the man he was with, Wei Wuxian. He had heard about the horrible aftermath of Lotus Pier and didn't know if Wei Wuxian was alive. He wished he had just went with Wei Wuxian. He has long followed his sect then his heart and Wangji always regrets that. He regrets it more now, knowing the man he grew feelings for, may never be seen again.

He had small hopes though. Until he sees the body or has one hundred percent confirmation, he will not believe Wuxian is dead. He knows how strong of a fight Wei Wuxian is so it wouldn't make sense for him to just die. Lan Wangji worried though, as he didn't know where his brother was and he didn't know where the man he loved was. Two people he cared about were missing and he was more confused and hurt than ever.

Lan Wangji clenched his sword in his hand and stormed out of the Jingshi. He informed his uncle that he was going to meet up with other cultivators for the Sunshot campaign. He hoped to find Wei Wuxian there. Unfortunately, he didn't, but it was odd. The newly appointed Sect Leader Jiang Cheng, was there but where was his subordinate, Wei Wuxian? His sister, Jiang Yanli was also here but not Wuxian.

Jiang Yanli glanced at Wangji and frowned. It was as if she understood what he was looking for and she shook her head. Wangji sighed and decided to speak with her about it shortly.

////////////

I don't know how often I will update this but it's a story that has been requested a couple times. It is a wangxian where Wei Wuxian disappears after he gives up his golden core. The updates will be slow and scarce but I will do what I can.

Thanks for checking out the first chapter.