Been That Way.

Two Hours Later on the Bus,
Jayde's POV Cont'd:

My beats encompassed my ears as "Lookin' Ass Nigga" by Nicki Minaj played in them.

I'm sitting in the front and Chris is somewhere in the back with the rest of the guys.

"Sweetheart?" I heard my dad ask as he turned around in his seat.

I removed the left side of the Beats to hear him.

"Yea dad wassup?"

"Do you know what this seminar is supposed to be about?" He asked as I chuckled.

"You're telling me that you and the team get invited to a seminar about basketball, team building, and leadership... and you don't know about the logistics of it?" I asked sarcastically as he chuckled.

"You think you're slick huh?" He asked.

"I'm just saying, you love trying to make it like I don't know what I'm doing when sometimes I have to keep you on your toes." I said shaking my head and chuckling.

"You're right you're right." He admitted.

"You guys will also be greeted by one of UCLA's sponsors upon arrival to take you around the campus before the seminar." I said to him and his assistant as I stood and handed them both pamphlets that were sent to us.

"The hell do we need to see the campus for?" He asked.

"Dad, it's politics. You know how this goes... in case they wanna steal some of the players." I said laughing as he shook his head.

"Those bastards..." He mumbled.

"Coach, you've got nothing to worry about... our guys value loyalty more than anything. You make every player feel like they're secure. We're gonna be fine." I said reassuring him as he shook his head ok.

Chris' POV

Bryson Tiller's "Been That Way" played in one ear of my headphones as I sighed deeply.

I wanna know how we became so distant, girl...
The way we fell in love,
it was almost instant

This song always cuts deep for me.

"Man if I don't make it to the NBA, I might have to make an onlyfans." Dave said as I shook my head and some of the guys chimed in.

"Nigga, why are you even in college? Do you not have a major?" Mike asked.

"Man I'm trynna get to this money." Dave said.

"Hell yea... I'll do that shit with you." Jack said smirking.

"No Diddy" Dave said.

"Yes Diddy" Jack replied as the guys started clowning him.

These niggas play too much.

It's crazy because even though I wanted to laugh... I couldn't.

My mind was in a sunken place that I couldn't escape.

My eyes diverted to the front of the bus, and it was her. She was standing and talking to her father with her small, soft hand placed firmly on the seat to maintain her stance.

Her laugh echoed to the back of the bus and I sighed deeply once more.

How did I lose her so fast and what the hell happened to us?

I keep thinking about you know who calling me earlier and the subtle reaction Jayde had to it... she got sad after she saw the screen indicating a call.