26

After seven years, Bora's life had become one of perpetual change. She battled the same man's recollections every day; he was the one she had to confront again and again. She felt as though she had never lived in his universe, and the anguish of his disdain was profound. She wept for hours every night, soaking her pillow with tears as she lamented the affection she had always yearned for but was never given.

There were times, too, when Bora experienced an odd relief despite the sorrow. She felt thankful for having discovered the truth at an early age and for being compelled to break out from the agonizing cycle as soon as possible.

She could clearly see that it was a bittersweet blessing. Two people stood by her side no matter what during her toughest moments: her little brother Joonie and her loyal buddy Taehyung. Their steadfast assistance served as her mooring, keeping her from slipping into hopelessness. Taehyung provided comfort and understanding with his insightful advise and soothing presence. Even though Joonie was going to start high school, in Bora's eyes he was still just a little boy, a symbol of optimism and innocence.

Dreams turned into Bora's haven, a place she could go to get comfort. The man in her dreams was not the same as the one who had harmed her; he remained a mystery to her. Long after she had woken up, she could still hear his familiar, calming voice in her head. Even though she had never seen his face, she could still feel his reassuring presence. Every night, when slumber engulfed her, she yearned to dream of him once more, seeking resolutions to the questions that tormented her awake.

Days stretched into weeks, which in turn stretched into months, but Bora never gave up. She put all of her focus into pursuing her goals and aspirations, not letting her painful past control her present or future. Her vivid and unwavering dreams were evidence of her inner fortitude and will. Even in the face of fear, she welcomed change and actively sought out new chances.

Bora created a new identity by navigating the complexity of her feelings. Her future was so bright that the anguish of the past faded into the distance. Knowing that every shift would make her stronger and more robust, she no longer feared the unknown and instead welcomed it. Dream after dream, she kept looking for the man.

Bora decided to start a fresh chapter in her life and moved back to Seoul with her whole family. In sharp contrast to her past experiences, the busy city was full of opportunities and memories just waiting to be discovered. She had to say goodbye to her Taehyung and  Joonie, so this move was not without sadness. While Bora dreamed of opening a café in Seoul bearing her name and housing a tiny library—a haven for book lovers like herself—Taehyung was now working in Busan, pursuing his job.

Bora grabbed a work at a neighborhood bar to help finance her goal and hoped to save enough cash to launch her café. Even though she knew it wouldn't be simple, she remained resolute. If she was lucky, the management of the bar would even sponsor her, which would be a lifesaver for her new company. She gave her everything to her work every day, her faith serving as a compass for her relentless work ethic.

One evening she was pouring drinks when she saw a bald man gesturing to her with impatient snapping fingers. Bora rolled her eyes inside, forced a nice smile, and walked over to him. "Sir, how may I assist you?" she inquired in a composed and formal tone.

"Give me your most expensive drink." Pointing to the woman across the table, the man said, "One for her as well." Bora nodded while keeping her cool. "Yes, sir." She looked at the woman, who was now staring at Bora with a disconcerting intensity, and asked, "Is there anything else would you like to order?"

"Do you want anything else?" the man asked the woman, who responded with an awkward smile, "I am an Angel. I don't want anything else." There was an unsettling quiet as her comments lingered in the air. The man appeared perplexed, and as Bora absorbed the odd woman's remark, his uncertainty mirrored hers.