fifty-three. the detour

status of subject: unknown

❝ status of subject: unknown ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

IN THE TIME HAVING LEFT the Doctor and the TARDIS, she'd began to stray away from her solitude in New York more so after the other Doctor, Rose, and Jack had gone on their separate ways. She began searching for answers in an attempt to feel more grounded with herself. She'd had her childhood stripped from her and these new memories that, in the rush of death and war, she hadn't gotten a chance to reflect on. With Kovarian disappearing she wanted some trace to find her or something that could give her closure.

Katie searched for her answers and continued to jump from place to place in order to do so. She was running, except not away from anything but towards something. Piecing together fragments of a memory was difficult with no sense of origin. There was only some idea as to where it all began as Katie arrived to the location in the present day.

The sign was hanging on from the hinges in desperation as she looked up to the faded words only partially being able to read the title it once had: Kovarian's Children's home. Seeing the doors were rotting from ages she pushed herself through for them to crack easily as she continued on her way. From her bag she took out a flashlight holding it in her mouth as she tried to get the photographs she managed to scavenge for the trip.

In the halls again she felt younger, smaller, the weight of the energy here bringing her down as she walked through. Wallpaper peeled from the walls as she looks to the words underneath. Run. Turn back. Go away. Up the steps the main bedroom that held the children remained in small quantities but were scattered as if emptied in a hurry. At the beds in the farthest end of the room nearest to the window she found a floorboard that, if she were correct, still held some treasures.

The wood easily came off due to age as she set the plank inside to lift up the box. Ribbon, a canister of film that was labeled to be from a beach vacation, and an emerald ring that came as a novelty from a candy machine. Katie the top of the box read after she wiped the dirt that had built from age. Movement sounded from behind her as she turned back to the sound. Placing the relic into her bag she continued on her search for where they were held after the home's closure.

From what Katie had been told Kovarian's team left shortly after her and Sophie and been let off from the project. Instead of setting up in the home they took interest in the stars, much like the enemy they were going against. On the ground floor she walked throughout the rest of the home in search of some passage that would lead her to where any hint would be.

"Things always go missing." Melody's warning rang through her head as she tried to find any secret or anything that made the trip here worthwhile. Another movement came from behind her as she flashed the light the in the direction of the sound. As her back was turned the walls opened to reveal a bright, white paneled room different from that of the relic of the house. Seeing she found what she was looking for she tucked the flashlight away for the meantime and went inside.