fifty-six. down the river bend

you can't run forever, sweetie

❝ you can't run forever, sweetie ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

THE TARDIS MATERIALIZED on a sunburn street as the group of four stepped out to see where they'd landed. Ahead of them was a red sports car situated outside of a house seemingly planned to be for them. Amy smiled over the idea that came to her head. "Don't tell me. This isn't Earth, that isn't a real house. And inside lives a goblin, who feeds on indecision."

"No. Real Earth, real house, real door keys," The Doctor said and passed the keys over to Rory.

Amy looked to him confused as did Katie. "You're not serious?"

"The car too? But, that's my favourite car," Rory said and looked to him questionably, "How did you know that was my favourite car?"

The Doctor smiled over this. "You showed me a picture of it once and said this is my favourite car," He said, imitating Rory's speech as he did so.

"Rory, can you give us two minutes? Two minutes?"

"Should I go?" Katie asked, motioning to the doors of the TARDIS

Amy waved off the request. "No, you can stay."

Instead of stepping away immediately he stepped over to the Doctor instead. "She'll say that we can't accept it because it's too extravagant and we'll always feel a crippling sense of obligation." He nodded in determination. "It's a risk I'm willing to take."

The three leaned against the car as Rory continued into the house. "Katie's back, you gave us the house and the car, you're leaving aren't you?"

"You haven't seen the last of me. Bad Penny is my middle name. Seriously, the looks I get when I fill in a form, it's—"

"Why now?" Amy interrupted as the Doctor attempted to switch the mood of the conversation.

He smiled over to her solemnly. "Because you're still breathing."

Amy took in his words but still found a way to make a jest. "Well, I think this is about the washing up, personally."

"I mean, you're right, there's still heaps of stuff out there to look at. Do you know, there's a planet whose name literally translates as Volatile Circus?" The Doctor said and pointed to the doors of the home, "Or maybe there's a bigger, scarier adventure waiting for you in there."

Amy smiled back to him. "Even so, it can't happen like this. After everything we've been through, Doctor. Everything. You can't just drop me off at my house and say goodbye like we've shared a cab."

"And what's the alternative? Me standing over your grave? Over your broken body? Over Rory's body?"

Katie kept her down over the idea as Amy accepted the response. "If you bump into my daughter, tell her to visit her old mum sometime," Amy said and turned over to Katie, "You too. Look after him. Can't trust him to look after himself."