thirty-two. creation

you have changed for the better

❝ you have changed for the better ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

CHILDREN'S HOME, 1995

THINGS HAD BECOME more extreme the longer Katie stayed in this facility. Suddenly those around her had gone missing and she didn't know where they'd gone or if they were safe. To new homes, adopted by families, no updates were ever given in a child's departure here at the facility. When Melody had left before the end of the year in 1992 took the heaviest toll on Katie. The missing addition to her friends was felt and Sophea took this entirely to heart by now filling the space Melody had in her life. With a place that had very little in terms of benefiting their future, Sophea felt responsible for the youngest's well-being as much as she was able to.

The safety of children here wasn't able to be guaranteed, which the eldest of them was entirely aware of. She had heard whispers from the adults of the experiments being run and the best candidates for the job. However when Melody had left, whether by her own accord or not, things got out of hand. The adults became desperate, more willing to throw in time and energy into perfecting what they called Proto Timelords. Nothing they spoke of made much sense to her and she only hoped it wouldn't affect Katie or herself.

Before leaving Melody had warned her about the ulterior motives of the children's home that at the time the eldest took as a grand exaggeration. She often came up with these stories around time travel and off-planet worlds that it was easy to just throw in the conspiracy with the rest. Sophea didn't understand what was going on until Katie was chosen and taken.

She watched in her bed as they grabbed her one night, the fear keeping her from making any sudden movements at the figures that easily picked her up. With her mouth covered Katie made no sound and...

She didn't remember much after that, becoming confused when sitting up in bed and noticing the sheets uncovered where Katie should've been asleep. A few days went by with no sign of her, leaving for Sophea to assume she'd disappeared like the rest and became guilty over the loss of her.

This lasted for only so long until she was picked as well. The tall figures took her up from her bed in the middle of the night in the room that had now become empty from the amount of children that had been taken before her. The last thing Sophea was able to recall was being restrained to a chair and the overhead light burning above her as she slipped into a deep sleep.

"Sophea! Sophea it's me!" Being shaken violently she awoke to a girl frantically attempting to wake her up. Becoming confused she sat upright as she shoved the stranger away. "It's me, it's Katie!"

A ringing in her ears sounded as she felt fatigued. The situation felt like a blur to Sophea as the stranger in front of her claimed to be the friend she hadn't been able to keep safe. The girl still persisted and held her hand tightly. "I can help you okay? It's going to be okay." Suddenly a bright yellow light formed over them as she widened her eyes over what the younger girl was during.