Chapter XVIII

The leaves crunched under their shoes, a slight breeze blowing through the trees. Break the bounds torn by greed, taking the locket of the sea. There will be the treasure you truly seek, just beyond the desert is where you'll succeed. The words echoed through Sariah's mind. "What did it mean by a desert? We are nowhere near that much sand." Said Cassian, walking alongside Sariah. "I don't know, but one thing is for sure. That treasure needs to stay between us." She spoke softly, her eyes narrowed at Alya. "I don't trust she'll be a....team player." Sariah said, keeping her wits about her. Cassian nodded. "Understood." He followed alongside her as they approached the end of the small forest. "It's just more trees?" Sariah said, seeming confused. She pictured more of a...well a desert. "A jungle to be precise." Akira chimed in, stepping forward. "Well, congratulations on leading us nowhere." Arien sighed, seeming unamused. "Hey! I didn't know it would lead to a jungle." Sariah's eyes narrowed. "Children, children, enough." Alya butted in, stepping forward. "This is only the beginning." She smirked, swinging the locket around. Sariah caught it as it flew from her hands. "Careful, we don't know exactly what this thing is capable of." She said, carefully putting the locket in her bag. Alya sighed, turning her head to a clearing. "We should set up camp. We'll start our search in the morning." She stepped away, walking with her men. They started setting up a fire and a tent for the Captain.

Sariah sat around a firepit Mohan made. They had their own little area, a little ways away from the Crimson. Cassian sat beside her, two across from them. Mohan sat on the other side of Cassian. "What's her problem?" Asked Arien, getting all huffy. "She's always been like that." Mohan rolled his eyes. "I thought she would at least be nicer to me." Sariah commented, drawing in the dirt beside her. "Alya has always been sour." Cassian sighed, leaning his head back. He was propped up against a log. Sariah dropped the stick to the ground, looking out at the fire. She took out the locket, opening it up. She read over the lines again. "Just beyond the desert..." She repeated, turning her head over her shoulder. She looked out where they stopped they're search. Her eyes traveled over the green that laid beyond. "Wait a moment.." She said, standing up. Cassian opened his eyes, following her movements. "Where are you going?" He asked, standing up. Sariah walked over to the edge of the hill. Cassian joined her, looking out where she was looking. "What is it?" He asked, looking back at her. "There used to be a desert here. A long time ago of course." She said, looking down at the locket. "Now it's just trees." Her eyes brightened, now understanding the riddle. "We have the right place!" She turned to Cassian. Cassian raised an eyebrow. "We have to find this place where we must destroy the locket." Sariah informed, closing it back up. "Then all will be free." She looked up at him. Cassian looked out at the jungle ahead. "We should leave tonight once everyone is asleep." He said, looking determined. Sariah nodded, putting the locket back in her bag.

Back at camp, the fires started to die out. The Crimson's were fast asleep, no sign of movements. Soft crunch of leaves and grass echoed through the jungle. Sariah navigated through the trees, leaving the camp behind. The others followed behind her, moving giant leaves and plants out of the way. It was muggy to say the least, the sweat dripped off them. "How much further?" Asked Arien in a whiney voice. Mohan patted him hard on the back. "Is someone tired?" He teased with a chuckle. "Pfft- no." He crossed his arms in a matter of fact way. "I don't know about you, but do you get the feeling like we're being watched?" Asked Akira, looking around. "Come on Akira, quit being such a wimp." Arien turned, wrapping his arm around Akira's shoulder. "Besides, I've got this little beauty if anything happens." He patted his gun on his belt. His most prized possession. "I never said I was scared." Akira shoved him off. "Just nervous." He cleared his throat. Sariah stopped in the middle of a fork in the path. "That's weird." She said, looking at the compass she brought. "What?" Cassian stepped beside her. "The dial. It keeps spinning, like something is making it spin so-..." She stopped as the dial spun rapidly. "I think we found our spot." She said, looking up. It was a small clearing, surrounded by trees of course. Sariah took Cassian's sword, walking over to a big rock. She placed it on the surface, looking down at it. "Wait." Cassian placed a hand on her shoulder before she could strike it. "Are you sure this breaks every curse?" He asked, seeming hesitant. Sariah looked up at him. "I've studied this for a long time, I'm positive your curse will be broken." She said, sounding confident. Cassian seemed surprised she knew about his curse, considering he never told her. His hand dropped from her shoulder, stepping back.

Her arms raised, bringing the sword up. She closed her eyes, bringing the sword down. The tip stabbed the locket, cracking the surface. Gold particles like the ones from the ruins, surround them. Sariah took the sword out, opening her eyes. She turned, seeing the particles surround the others. It was like things were in slow motion. In a blink of an eye, the gold disappeared. Cassian held a hand over his heart, feeling it beat. Ba-dum, Ba-dum...

"Cassian?" Sariah's voice echoed through his ears. His eyes looked up at her. He felt alive again. He quickly stepped forward, cupping her face in his hands. He leaned in, lips pressing against hers. "Thank you.." He whispered as he pulled away. She looked up at his eyes,her lips slightly parted. He looked deeply in her eyes. "It's over.." She spoke softly, a small smile forming on her lips.