Chapter XX

There was an awkward silence between them, the sounds of the water crashing against the ship echoed. "I'm sure my father is worried about me." Sariah finally spoke, looking down at her hands. "Would it be selfish to keep you?" Cassian blurted out. Sariah's eyes widened, keeping her gaze away. "I-..." She didn't know how to respond. "I have to get back home, no matter how appealing it seems." Sariah said, looking up at him. He looked down at her, searching her eyes. "I don't want you to leave my side. You would make a great addition to the crew." He said, trying to plead with her. "You said it yourself, your mother was a pirate. This life is your birthright." She shook her head. "My birthright is staying on land, away from pirates." She said, turning away. "I can't leave the life I had. I can't leave my father." She stepped to walk off. Cassian grabbed her arm, turning her around. Sariah gasped, her back pressed against the edge. Cassian pinned her between him and the ledge, his hands on either side. "Then convince me to let you go." He said, his expression serious. Their faces were inches apart. "Cassian, let me go." Sariah tried pushing him away but he wouldn't budge. "We've been through so much and you choose to throw it away." Cassian leaned closer. "Convince me Sariah." His voice lowered, making her heart turn into a drum.

Sariah looked into his eyes, her lips slightly parted. "I-.." She sighed, looking down at her feet. "You deserve to be with your crew more than with me." She said, looking up at him. Her eyes pleading with him. "We may love each other, but you belong with the sea. I can't take that away from you. I'm not going to join you either. I have more potential elsewhere." She said, her voice softened. "I just don't belong here." The only words that were said before a loud bang sounded. Whistled past them, crashing into the ship. The ship rocked, causing a stir. Cassian's eyes looked up, seeing a ship behind them. Sariah turned her head, spotting the flag. "My father." She said, feeling relief he was safe. More cannons fired, coming straight for them. The two ducked as more came their way. "Take cover!" Mohan yelled. Sariah rose to her feet slowly, looking out. The ship was getting closer. "Prepare the cannons." Cassian ordered Arien as men collected weapons. They were preparing for a fight. "There's no need to fight. I'm clearly what they're after." Sariah said, following Cassian down the stairs. "Yet they will destroy this ship once they have you." Cassian said, continuing to walk. "I could convince my father not to." She said, her boots clopping behind. "I'm not taking that chance." He turned, his eyes narrowing.

Sariah stepped back. Cassian turned, walking away. Sariah's eyes narrowed, glaring at his back. "I'll show you." She mumbled under her breath, taking a sword off the pile of the gathered weapons. The navy ship approached beside them, ropes were thrown out to tie them together. "Ready your weapons men!" Cassian yelled, steadying his own. Cannons fired from both sides, swords clanging together as men swung across onto the navy ship. The General found a way onto the Hornwood ship, bringing a few men. Sariah was fighting off a few soldiers. She blocked a blow, kicking the man backwards. Her father spotted her, making his way over. Cassian blocked his way, pointing his sword at him. "Well, if it isn't the famous Captain Rover." The General said, sheathing his own sword. Cassian smirked. "Seems my reputation precedes me." He got into a fighting stance, waiting for the General. "Of course it does when you're a wanted man. And even more, for kidnapping my daughter!" He struck, the two swords clashing together. "Correction, it's called borrowing." Cassian smirked, blocking another blow.

"You two are ridiculous." Sariah added her commentary, fighting someone near them. "Just humoring the situation!" He raised his voice over the gun fire. Sariah rolled her eyes, pushing another soldier off the ship's edge. Another cannon fired, but not from the two ships. No, it came from the Crimson's. Alya swung across, helping Sariah out with a guy. "What are you doing here?" Sariah asked. "Thought you could use some help." Alya winked, blocking a sneak attack from behind. Sariah smiled, continuing to fight off the ship. The Crimson joined The Hornwood, banding together to fight off the Royal Navy. More cannons fired, swords clanging together.

Sariah slipped, causing her to land on her bottom. One of the sargents pointed a sword at her, daring her to make a move. Sariah looked up at him, panting. She swiped his legs from under him, causing him to fall. She smirked, grabbing her sword. She stood back up, grabbing onto a rope. Before she could swing, her father called out to her. She turned her head, looking at him. "Sariah!" He stepped closer. Her hands slipped from the ropes, quickly wrapping her arms around his neck. She smiled, feeling comfort in her father's embrace. "I was worried sick." He said, tucking a strand behind her ear. "I'm alright father." She reassured him. "We need to take you home right away." He said, nodding to one of his men. "Take her onto the ship where she'll be safe. "Apprehend the others." He ordered, the man nodding. "Father, I-.." She was cut off. The man took her by the arm, leading her to the Navy ship. She followed reluctantly, her head turning over her shoulder. She watched as Arien was taken down, along with Akira. Next was Mohan, cornering him in a corner with Oxi. Alya kept fighting until she was detained. The last one was Cassian, he certainly didn't go down without a fight. He was knocked back, his sword being taken from his hand. "No!" Sariah cried out, trying to get back to her friends. The man had a tight grip, dragging her away like he was told. Everything happened so fast it felt like it was in slow motion.