Chapter 24: Corrine

The king's entertainment has not been satisfied for the night according to the fight that is now happening before the audience. The contestants have been paired up to spike the tension before the second trial tomorrow, starting off with a very drunk Kai and a brawny, but not even the alcohol can dull the Enforcer's reactions. Even sloppier he still takes an easy win and swoons the ladies that have been watching his every move so intensely. As I make my way across the crowd the last pair made out of Blair - a Tele - and Paedyn take to the stage.

She is working with the Resistance, plagues I'm almost convinced this whole thing has been a setup for her to infiltrate the palace with her deceit. What if she was always meant to be part of the Trials? The memory of her running into the prince to save him from that Silencer comes rushing back - they were on the same side. It all makes sense now, it's never been more clear.

Paedyn Gray is a living lie, just like my brother and Lenny.

Her punches are met with the same force by Blair's rage. They could easily use their powers and it would all be over. The girl would be out of the game before I got to her because she is a mundane, a psychic with no real...

My heart skips a beat.

No real power.

I almost laugh out loud in disbelief. I have been such a fool, just like everyone else around me right now.

The girl is Ordinary. She has nothing.

Not only is she the enemy's soldier, but she has a far greater role in their whole scheme according to the mass amount of times she was mentioned in my dear brother's letters. Her next move has been made obvious: get into Kitt's head, but for what I haven't worked it out just yet. Knowing this will all be over soon it must mean the Resistance is planning on something big, far greater than the accidental bomb at the ball. A statement. And that begins with Paedyn giving them what they want.

The blonde waves finally come into view and I'm behind the crown prince, aware that he doesn't even realise I'm near with his eyes glued to the Saviour putting on a show before him. She has him entranced just like everyone else. I take advantage of the cheering and clapping with everyone distracted to move closer to him, raising just enough on my tiptoes to each his ear as I balance with a hand on his shoulder.

I feel him stiffen underneath my touch and yet he doesn't turn, "Lowes, I thought you've abandoned me."

"Not just yet, your highness." I whisper.

I must tell him. I need to tell him or it will all come crumbling down before the Ordinaries gathering their forces. I may not stand with the king, but for someone else to take over with just as much power it's nothing but a bolder statement that a leader may be made or born but never chosen by the people. The people are the only ones that matter and yet the two sides oppose with no say in the matter.

"Have you come to finish our abandoned dance?" Kitt whispers back with a smirk.

"Not exactly, I have to-"

A pair of eyes locks on me from across the crowd: Lenny.

He is shaking his head faintly, a pleading look full of worry and fear on his face. He's a Hyper, I almost forgot that he can hear everything I'm about to say. If I open my mouth now I will have a front-row seat witness to betrayal.

"I have to talk to you, can we go somewhere more private?"

The prince turns his head slightly to look me in the eyes with somewhat of a worried look, "Sure. Are you alright, Corrine?"

"Yes, can we please just leave for a moment?"

He nods and I let him walk in front of me leading into the midst of trees standing within the expanse of the garden. If anyone were to look for us right now it would only look like a guard escorting the prince away for a break from the festivities. Once we're far enough in and the cheers of Paedyn's fight are muffled only then I speak.

"Your highness, something is happening."

"It must be serious for the formalities, Lowes."

"It's about-"

"You brother. He is alive. Isn't he?" My next words die in my throat. "I saw him when you left me on the dance floor. You look just like him, Corrine, how could I miss the similarities?" He continues with a sigh, "I will not tell my brother. The Enforcer will never know he escaped him. Not from me at least."

"You won't?"

"No, I will not."

"Why?"

"Because it's a secret I'm willing to keep between us amongst our many other ones." Kitt looms closer to me, "I know how much this particular one means to you so I will not utter a word."

"How many secrets do we have then, prince?"

The smirk he gives me makes my suspicions clear: he is drunk. Thank the plagues he might not even remember this tomorrow.

"Three."

"And they are?"

He takes another step, "Your fountain and that most hypnotising dancing of yours you seem to enjoy entrapping me into." Another step and I move backwards with him, "Your dead brother coming back to the land of the living just in time to watch you in this mesmerising dress you're so keen on torturing me with," A last step as my back hits the tree bark behind me and his fingers find my chin, lifting it up gently to meet his gaze with flames practically dancing within them - his true power is showing, "And the worst of all,"

"You're not thinking clearly, Kitt. You've had too much wine for the night."

"I'm never thinking clearly when you're around, Corrine. Blame the drink all you wish but alcohol only brings out the truth."

He's right. In this moment it feels like it's the first I know there are no lies to be told - the only assurance that he will not deceive me just like everyone else in my life keeps doing.

My voice comes out breathy, in unison with a heart undecided if it should run its course or stop just to hear what he will say, "What's the worst of our secrets then, my prince?"

The title I've just given him draws him in closer, the flames now sparking and the world around us warming against the chill of the night, "Say that again, Corrine." His voice vibrates against my skin.

I smile, "Is that a command?"

"A request." He breathes.

Kitt is inches from me now as I whisper only for him, "My prince," I never abandon his gaze, allowing myself to get lost in it, giving in to him for the first time, "Tell me our secret."

His answer is simple when lips clash with mine.

Our powers ignite at the same time: a flame against a lightning bolt both contained as I feel them encircle us. Not even a second after, the sky erupts and rain falls hard pounding against my skin and soaking the both of us if only we were to care.

"We are our own secret, Corrine." He says against me, planting another kiss this time on my jawline, "And I will guard this one with my life."

"I'm sworn to protect you with mine, prince."

He moves a strand of hair away from my face, letting the rain descend its course against my cheeks, "And so I bind myself to your promise."

Instead of answering I kiss him back in response, my hands on the back of his neck as his find my waist and yet another thunder breaks the night above us, mirroring everything I am feeling. Only a storm is powerful enough for a feud between heart and mind.

A royal has sworn by me.

The crown of Ilya has bound himself ... to me.