Chapter 26: Corrine

"The ball is in one hour, your highness. You have to get ready."

I can barely get my words out as he kisses me again.

"I am getting ready."

I push lightly against his chest so that he can see my look, "This is you getting ready?"

"Yes," A teasing glint in his gaze as he trails every detail of my face, "I need to prepare to see you tonight."

"I thought alcohol did that job for you."

"Oh but your lips are so much more effective than wine, Corrine."

"As flattered as I am, I need to go as well."

And yet he doesn't let me go, his hand is still firmly holding my waist and another slips behind the back of my neck as he kisses me softer one more time, "I'll let you go, but only if you head straight to your room."

A sceptical look puzzles me, "Why?"

"You'll see."

"Fine," I tilt my head to the side with a sly smile, one that I've gotten used to reserve only for him, "If you say so my prince."

"I could never get tired of hearing you say that."

"Everyone calls you that every minute of every day."

He swipes away my hair to the back of my uniform gently to graze a kiss to my neck, sending shivers down my spine, "But you make me yours."

Before we descend down a rabbit hole of teasing once again I break away slowly from his hold, "I'll see you soon, your highness. Try not to get yourself killed before I get back,"

"I can't promise that when I see you next unfortunately. But until then I will do my best."

I pull my hand from his, almost feeling myself reach back towards his warmth, "Good."

I slip out of his room making sure no one has seen me enter or leave and swiftly head straight for my room. And when I open the door I realise why he wanted me to get here first. A dress the colour of the sky is laid neatly waiting for me on my bed. The fabric is immaculate, flowing like a river in gradients of dark and light creating a perfect blend of shades. The fitted bodice is like a second skin against me, and I let its length flow to the floor admiring the way light traps the sheen of it as if of an ethereal material.

It's beautiful.

And the fact it came from the prince of Ilya himself makes it even more mesmerising, adding a quality of it I can keep just for myself - as if our secret has imbued it the moment I glance at myself in the mirror. I let my hair fully down, brushing the dark waves lightly and only adding a delicate hairpiece to the side. The dress is enough to take the stage without me trying to enhance any of my features, and I am glad of that to make me thrive in a natural aspect of me, feeling more like myself than ever. Not the old me, nor the new me but...a balance.

Just like he said I would find.

The ballroom is filled with people once again, the dancing, the music, the colours they are all the same. But what is different is Paedyn Gray now dancing with Lenny, the movement between them that was supposed to go unnoticed catching my attention as a key passes from her hand to his and they break apart, splitting off into different directions. Preoccupied with following the Ordinary girl now passed into none other than Kitt's arms I almost don't notice Lenny heading straight for me. A hand pushes me backwards by my shoulder away from the entrance and to the side of the room.

"Corrine you're practically baring your fangs right now. Compose yourself," Lenny warns with a chuckle.

"Then let me ask you a question to redirect my fangs, what are you and the traitor planning?" I glance to the pocket he slips the golden key into, "What's that for?"