Chapter 28: Kitt

My father is dead. 

After Paedyn Gray's betrayal it was not enough that she was the cause for my whole kingdom to know what real fear feels like, no, she had to leave a token of her behind for me to find: her dagger in my father's throat.

It's only been a few hours since everything descended into a chaos I could not control, I've had advisors, servants, the people of Ilya pleading to me for answers and yet I did not know what to say to them when I didn't know myself. 

The crown is mine. That's the extent of my knowledge right now and with only one moment of peace I find myself in my father's study, taking a seat in that chair I've always dreaded to descend in, but now the day has finally come.

A knock on the door and a glint of white uniform makes me jump up, but it isn't Corrine approaching me. Matthew walks before my desk and bows, placing an iron box on the polished wood and then leaving without a word. Confused, I untie the note tied to it reading my father's writing and feeling as my heart slows its pace until I am unsure of its next beat.

'You allowed a weakness. This will be the last time. Duty and loyalty to your kingdom, Kitt Azer.'

My fingers tremble against the lid of the box, opening it slowly until it snaps wide. I sink into the chair. Tears start pooling in my eyes, my hands covering my mouth to not let out a scream to what I see in front of me. To not accept what is so clear.

A blue rose over a heart bathed in blood.

Corrine