Chapter 13: Asim mo, Lim

[Flash back on "that" day]

Mav gripped the basketball tightly, her focus narrowing on the court ahead. It was a routine evening practice session for her, and as a freshman in Sports Science, she relished every opportunity to hone her skills.

Dressed in her customary red and black athletic gear, she moved swiftly across the court, her mind split between the game and the latest episode of her favorite anime she had watched the night before.

As the practice intensified, her friend Gab's voice cut through the sounds of dribbling and sneakers squeaking on the gym floor. "I'm open, Mav!" Gab shouted from across the court, waving her arms energetically.

Mav spotted Gab near the three-point line, a clear shot for a pass. With a quick calculation, she launched the ball toward Gab, intending a flawless assist. But in a twist of fate, the ball veered off course, soaring past Gab and striking someone else entirely.

A sharp impact and a surprised yelp can be heard.

Mav's heart sank as she realized the ball had hit someone who wasn't even part of their practice. She sprinted toward the scene of the incident, her athletic instincts kicking in.

The woman lay on the ground, rubbing her head where the basketball had made an unexpected landing. Mav approached cautiously, her guilt evident despite the playful nudges and teasing remarks from Gab. "Hey, I'm really sorry about that," she managed to say, extending a hand to help the woman up.

But the woman brushed off Mav's assistance and got to her feet on her own.

Mav felt a pang of embarrassment mixed with lingering concern, unsure how to handle the situation.

Gab's laughter and playful banter with Mav helped lighten the mood, but the incident lingered in Mav's mind as they continued with their practice.

After the game, Gab suggested they grab a coffee to unwind. Mav grinned and playfully wiped Gab's sweat with her towel, a familiar gesture among their close-knit group.

Gab's bemused expression reminded Mav of her own penchant for flirty antics, a trait that often added an element of light-heartedness to their interactions.

"Asim mo, Lim."

-

Mav and Gab finally found an empty table by the window, collapsing onto the plush seats with tired sighs.

Mav relaxed for a moment, but then a jolt of recognition ran through her. She nudged Gab repeatedly, who was completely engrossed in the elaborate coffee menu.

"Gab," Mav nudged again, a bit more forcefully this time. "Gab!"

Gab finally tore her eyes away from the menu, a touch of irritation flickering across her face. "Ano ba, Mav?"

"Look over there. Di ba siya yung natamaan ng bola kanina?" Mav whispered, pointing towards the corner.

Gab followed Mav's finger and her eyes widened in recognition. "Ahh, si Arceta lang pala," she mumbled, promptly diving back into the menu.

"Huh? Anong pala? Kilala mo?" Mav's curiosity piqued.

"Oo, pinsan 'yan ng bebe ko," Gab replied nonchalantly, still flipping through beverage options.

Mav's eyes widened. "Huh? Bakit 'di mo man lang sinabi kanina?"

"Naka-mask siya kanina, sis," Gab explained with a shrug. "Plus we don't really talk that much. Nam-mention lang ni Bebe."

Mav sighed in defeat. "May kasama hays... eguls."

Gab finally looked up, a mischievous glint in her eye. "Straight 'yan, 'wag ka."

Mav straightened up with mock confidence. "Pinsan niya nga bading, expect na nating nasa dugo na nila."

Gab snorted. "Hoy, hindi tayo mang l-label ha!"

"Joke lang, let's not, I was just kidding." Mav held her hands up in surrender, a sheepish grin on her face.

Gab went back to studying the menu, but couldn't help adding, "Even if she's queer, 'di ka papatulan nan. Opposite kayo nan."

Mav leaned back on her chair, a playful smile tugging at her lips. "Well, opposite attracts, I guess?"

-