Chapter 27: The Rescue

The two girls hurried through the dorm, their footsteps echoing in the eerie silence. Mav's heart pounded in her chest as they made their way to the industrial district. She kept a wary eye on Cream, ready to defend herself if this turned out to be a trap.

The industrial district was a maze of abandoned buildings and rusted machinery.

The air was thick with the scent of decay and disuse. Mav's stomach churned with anxiety as they approached an old, rundown warehouse.

"Inside," Cream whispered, pointing to a side entrance of an old, rundown warehouse. Her voice was hoarse, lacking its usual bravado.

Mav tightened her grip on the bat she held, her knuckles white with tension. "If you're lying about this, Cream, I swear I won't hesitate," she warned, her eyes hard and unyielding.

Cream looked back at her, a shadow of fear crossing her face. "I'm not lying," she muttered, avoiding Mav's gaze. "Just go. Get Aya."

Mav shot one last suspicious glance at Cream before pushing open the creaky door.

The interior of the warehouse was dark and musty, the air thick with the scent of decay and disuse.

Mav's heart pounded in her chest as she stepped inside, her eyes scanning the dimly lit space for any sign of Aya.

In the faint light, she could just make out a small figure tied to a chair in the center of the room. Her heart lurched in her chest as she realized it was Aya. She was gagged, her eyes wide with fear as she saw Mav and Cream approach.

"Aya!" Mav whispered urgently, rushing to her friend's side. She fumbled with the ropes, her hands shaking as she worked to free Aya. "It's okay, we're getting you out of here."

Aya's eyes filled with tears as the gag was removed. "Mav, thank god," she whispered, her voice raw with fear and relief. "I was so scared. They... they said they'd hurt you if I tried to escape."

Mav's heart ached at the fear in Aya's voice. "I'm here now. They won't hurt you anymore," she said, her voice trembling with emotion. She glanced at Cream, who was nervously keeping watch by the door. "Let's get out of here."

With Aya freed, the three girls hurried toward the exit, their hearts pounding with fear and adrenaline.

Mav kept a tight grip on Aya's hand, her eyes darting around for any sign of danger.

As they stepped out into the open air, the weight of the danger they had just escaped hit them like a tidal wave.

Mav's legs felt weak with relief and fear, but she kept moving, her grip on Aya's hand never faltering.

They didn't stop running until they were far from the industrial district, their breaths coming in ragged gasps.

Mav's heart raced as she turned to Aya, her eyes filled with concern. "Are you okay?" she asked, her voice trembling with emotion.

Aya nodded, tears streaming down her face. "Thank you, Mav. Thank you," she whispered, her voice choked with gratitude. "I thought... I thought I'd never see you again."

Mav's eyes softened as she squeezed Aya's hand. "I'd never leave you, Aya," she said, her voice filled with determination.

She turned to Cream, who was standing a few steps away, looking uneasy. "What's your game, Cream? Why did you help us?"

Cream's expression was unreadable, her eyes flickering with an emotion Mav couldn't place. "It's not a game, Mav," she said quietly. "I... I couldn't just leave her there."

Mav's eyes narrowed, her distrust of Cream evident. "And why should we believe you?" she asked, her voice filled with suspicion.

Cream looked down, her shoulders slumping. "I've done terrible things. I know that. But I couldn't let them hurt Aya," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I know you have no reason to trust me, but I'm telling the truth."

Before Mav could respond, Cream started laughing, a low, mocking sound that sent chills down Mav's spine.

"You never learn, do you, Mav?" Cream said, her voice dripping with malice. Aya and Mav turned to face her, their relief turning to dread as they saw the cold, cruel glint in her eyes.

Cream was holding a gun, its barrel pointed straight at Mav.

-