Chapter 15: The Bet

[Back to present day]

Mav's heart pounded as she stepped forward, facing Cream. "Cream, I'm done with this bet. I'm not going to play along anymore. Aya deserves better than this."

Cream raised an eyebrow, her smirk widening. "Oh, getting cold feet, are we? Can't handle a little competition? Backpedaling much?"

Mav's eyes flare up with anger. "It's not about competition. It's about doing what's right."

Cream crossed her arms, her expression skeptical. "Since when do you care so much about doing the right thing? You were all for this bet when we started."

Mav took a deep breath, her voice steady. "I was wrong. I thought it was just a harmless challenge, but it's more than that. I care about Aya."

Cream's smirk faded, replaced by a look of surprise. "You're serious, aren't you? You actually care about her."

Mav nodded, her resolve unwavering. "Yes, I do. And I'm going to end this bet, right here, right now."

Gab stepped in, her voice firm. "Cream, it's over. The bet is off. Leave Aya out of this."

Cream rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed. "Fine, whatever. You guys are no fun anyway."

Mav watched as Cream walked away, a sense of relief washing over her. She had taken a stand, and it felt good. But she knew there was still one more person she needed to face.

-

Aya was walking towards the court since she knew where to find Mav, her heart heavy with worry.

But as she was about to step into the court, she heard whispering about a bet involving her and Mav, and she needed to know what was going on. As she approached the court, she saw Mav standing with Gab and Cream, their faces tense with conflict.

Taking a deep breath, Aya walked up to them, her voice trembling. "Mav, what's going on? I've been hearing things... about a bet..? Huh? Anong bet?"

Mav's heart sank as she saw the hurt and confusion in Aya's eyes. She took a step towards her, her voice filled with regret. "Aya, I can explain. It was a stupid bet, and I'm so sorry."

Aya's voice was shaking. "So totoo nga? Act lang ba yung pinapakita mo sa akin all this time? I thought we were friends, Mav. How could you do this to me?"

Mav felt a lump in her throat, her heart breaking at the sight of Aya's tears. "Aya, please, you have to believe me. It started as a bet, but hindi naman na ganun yun. I care about you. I really do."

Aya shook her head, her voice filled with pain. "I trusted you, Mav. I thought we'd get along. But now I don't know."

Gab stepped forward, her voice gentle. "Aya, I know this is hard, but Mav is really sorry. She made a mistake, but she wants to make it right."

Aya looked at Mav, her eyes filled with a mix of hurt and disappointment. "I need some time to think, Mavise. I don't know if I can trust you anymore."

Mav nodded, her voice breaking. "I understand, Aya."

As Aya walked away, Mav felt a sense of loss and regret weighing heavily on her heart.

Shi, who had been standing silently next to Gab, finally spoke up, her voice shaking with anger. "I can't believe this, Gabriella. Ate Aya is my cousin, and you all thought it was okay to make a bet about her? How could you do this?"

Gab reached out, trying to comfort her. "Shi, please, I would never have agreed to this."

Shi pulled away. "No, Gabriella. You were in on this. You knew how important Aya is to me, and you still let this happen."

Mav's heart sank even further as she saw the two fighting because of her.

Mav wanted to say something, to explain herself, but the words wouldn't come.

All she could do was stand there, feeling more lost and ashamed than ever.

Shi turned to leave, her voice breaking. "I'm done. I can't be a part of this anymore." She walked out of the court to follow her Ate, leaving them behind.

Gab looked after Shi disappearing from her sight, then turned back to Mav, her expression was unreadable. "You really messed up this time, Mav. I hope you can find a way to make it right."

Mav stood there, feeling the weight of her actions bearing down on her.

-