Chapter 26: Unwelcome Return

The suspension period finally came to an end, and Mav was practically excited as she packed her things to return to the dorm.

Her mother watched with worry, knowing how much this meant to Mav despite her own fears.

"Be careful, anak," Mav's mother said, giving her a tight hug before she left. "And call me if anything happens, okay?"

"I will, Ma. Promise," Mav replied, hugging her back. She was eager to reunite with her friends and get back to some semblance of normalcy.

-

The dorm was unusually quiet when Mav arrived.

She had expected to be greeted by Aya or at least hear the usual buzz of activity, but the silence was almost eerie. She figured that Aya must be at school and that the others were likely busy with their own routines.

Setting her bags down in her room, Mav began to organize her things.

She was halfway through unpacking when a soft knock on the door startled her. Her heart raced as she approached the door, unsure of who it could be.

Mav opened the door cautiously, and her breath caught in her throat when she saw who was standing there.

It was Cream.

The girl looked disheveled, a stark contrast to her usual confident demeanor.

Without hesitation, Mav's instincts kicked in. She swung her fist, landing a punch squarely on Cream's face. Cream stumbled back, crashing into the wall and falling to the ground.

Fury and adrenaline coursed through Mav as she grabbed a bat from the corner of the room. She approached Cream, her grip tight around the handle. Cream raised her hands in the air in a gesture of surrender, her eyes wide with fear.

"Please, Mav. Teka," Cream said, her voice shaky. This wasn't the cocky Cream Mav once knew. There was something different, almost desperate, about her.

"What do you want?" Mav demanded, the bat poised to strike. "You've already done enough damage."

Cream took a deep breath, her voice barely above a whisper. "They got Aya."

Mav's anger wavered, replaced by a cold wave of fear. "Who's 'they'?" she asked, her grip on the bat tightening.

Cream looked defeated, her eyes filled with a sorrow Mav had never seen before. "My brothers."

Confusion flashed across Mav's face. "Your brothers? Pinagsasabi mo?"

Cream's gaze dropped to the floor, her voice trembling. "They took Aya because they thought she was the reason I... did what I did to you. They think she's to blame for everything."

Mav's mind raced, trying to process the information. She started to close the door, ready to shut Cream out of her life for good, but Cream stopped her with a desperate hand on the door frame.

"Please, Mav. I'm serious," Cream pleaded, her voice breaking. "I need your help."

Mav looked at Cream with a mix of skepticism and anger. "And why should I trust you? After everything you've done?"

Cream's eyes filled with tears, a broken expression crossing her face. "My family dumped me after finding out what I did to you."

Mav chuckled bitterly, shaking her head. "You deserved it, Cream. All of it."

"I know," Cream whispered, her voice thick with regret. "But please, Mav. Aya doesn't. She's innocent."

Mav rolled her eyes, ready to slam the door shut, but something in Cream's desperate eyes stopped her.

Cream pulled out her phone, her hands shaking as she showed Mav a photo. There, on the screen, was Aya, tied up and looking terrified.

A wave of nausea hit Mav as she stared at the image. "Oh my god," she muttered, her anger and fear mixing into a boiling rage. "Nasaan siya?"

Cream swallowed hard, her voice barely audible. "My brothers have a place in the old industrial district. They're keeping her there. I came to you because I don't know who else can help."

Mav's mind raced, trying to make sense of the situation. She couldn't believe she was considering trusting Cream, but the photo of Aya, her best friend, in danger was too much to ignore.

"Why should I believe you?" Mav demanded, her voice trembling with a mix of fury and fear. "How do I know this isn't some kind of trap?"

Cream shook her head, tears streaming down her face. "I swear, Mav, it's not a trap. I'm trying to make things right. I know you have no reason to trust me, but please, believe me this time. We need to save Aya."

Mav's mind whirled with conflicting emotions. She hated Cream for what she had done, but the thought of Aya in danger was unbearable. She had to make a decision, and quickly.

Taking a deep breath, Mav lowered the bat, her eyes locking onto Cream's. "Alright," she said, her voice steely. "But if you're lying, Cream, I swear I'll make you regret it."

Cream nodded, relief and fear mingling in her expression. "I'm not lying, Mav. Let's go get her back."

-