Chapter 42: Red & Black

The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting a warm, golden hue over the tranquil sea that stretched out near their dormitory.

The waves lapped gently against the shore, creating a soothing symphony that seemed to quiet the world around them.

Aya and Mav walked hand in hand along the sandy beach, their footsteps leaving a delicate trail behind them.

The air was filled with the salty tang of the ocean and the distant calls of seagulls, a serene backdrop to the quietude between the two friends.

Aya, though usually brimming with energy, seemed subdued, her pace slower, her grip on Mav's hand gentle yet firm.

Mav glanced at Aya, sensing her energy down. She knew how exhausting the day had been for Aya, especially after the art museum expo where Aya had been the center of attention. People had flocked to her, eager to learn more about her art and the stories behind her creations.

While Aya thrived on social interactions, Mav understood that even an extrovert like her needed moments of calm to recharge.

"Are you okay?" Mav asked softly, squeezing Aya's hand.

Aya nodded, her expression serene as she looked out at the sea. "I'm just a little tired. Today was a lot, but it was also amazing. Thanks to you."

Mav smiled, feeling a surge of affection for her friend. She had always admired Aya's resilience and passion for her art. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. You deserve all the recognition."

They continued walking in comfortable silence, the cool breeze rustling through their hair.

The moon was beginning to rise, casting a silvery light over the waves.

Aya shivered slightly, and Mav, ever the considerate one, took off her jacket and draped it over Aya's shoulders.

"Here, wear this. You'll catch a cold," Mav said, her tone gentle yet firm.

Aya smiled gratefully, slipping her arms into the sleeves.

The jacket was slightly oversized, enveloping her in warmth and a faint scent of Mav's cologne. "Salamat, Mavy," she murmured, her voice soft against the backdrop of the waves.

They continued walking, the silence between them comfortable and companionable.

Aya's gaze drifted along the sand, her eyes catching sight of something small and delicate. She paused, her hand slipping from Mav's grasp as she knelt down to pick up a tiny shell nestled in the sand.

Mav watched curiously as Aya carefully dusted off the shell, her fingers gentle and precise. "It's pretty," Aya muttered, her voice filled with a quiet awe.

Mav's eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion, looking down at Aya who was now gazing up at her with wide, puppy-like eyes. Aya held the shell up to Mav, its colors a striking blend of red and black, reminiscent of a setting sun against the night sky.

"It reminded me of you," Aya said softly, her eyes shining with sincerity.

A small smile tugged at the corners of Mav's lips. "Why, because it's red and black?" she asked, her tone light and teasing.

Aya grinned, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "No, because it's a lucky charm, and you need all the luck you can get."

Mav chuckled, her heart warming at Aya's playful teasing. "Well, in that case, I'll keep it close."

Aya stood up and carefully placed the shell into the pocket of Mav's jacket. "There, ngayon may lucky charm ka na for all your games."

Mav leaned in slightly, her voice barely above a whisper. "You're already my lucky charm," she murmured, a soft smile on her lips.

Aya looked up, her expression curious. "Anong sabi mo?"

Mav just shrugged nonchalantly, her smile growing a little wider. "I said thank you, Aya. I really appreciate it."

Aya gave Mav a playful look, clearly suspecting there was more to it, but she let it go, her own smile bright and full of affection. "Well, you're welcome, Mavy. Alam mo namang I'll always be here for you."

Aya slipped her hand back into Mav's, her energy seemingly restored. She pulled Mav along, her steps light and eager. "Come on, let's go to the store," she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "I want you to meet Lola."

Mav allowed herself to be dragged along, a smile playing on her lips as she watched Aya's enthusiasm. "Okay, lead the way, puppy," she teased, earning a playful swat on the shoulder from Aya.

-