𝟔

"you think you're better than me?" Chief asked panting all while dribbling the ball

"i am," I said stealing the ball from him unexpectedly and doing a layup into the hoop.

"—as you can see," I shrugged cockily.

"I let you have that, that was the weakest layup i've seen." He attempted to diminish me.

"you talk too much shit, that's why I keep stealing the ball," I told him, "take that as constructive criticism." I passed the ball back to him.

He held it under his arm and looked at me, "never that, I really just be giving it to you—boost your self esteem," He prevaricated.

"delusional," I chuckled.

We began to hear feminine voices from behind us, we both looked and saw a partial amount of the cheer squad coming in.

My eyes were only on one though, the leader.

"Look at her," I tapped Chief's chest in awe, "Ain't she something?"

"Jeremiah, not sure if you've noticed but i'm not—"

"Ion wanna hear that shit, just look," I said pointing to the group of girls—none of them noticing us staring at them.

"she's alright i guess," Chief said and I rolled my eyes.

"You wouldn't know something amazing if it slapped you in the face," I said moving away from him.

"Do you even know her name? Or do you just sit from afar and watch?" Chief said giving me a similar look my moms has given me when I'm guilty of something.

My silence gave him the answer he was already cognizant of, "right, go introduce yourself; don't be weird." He said pushing me slightly.

"Hell nah, she's way out of my league," I patronized myself.

"What—Jeremiah look at me," Chief demanded, "You are Jeremiah Major, you're in your own league. If anything, she's out of your league," He praised trying to convince me to speak to her.

I looked at him then at her. He's right, what's the worse that could happen?

"bet," I said and my feet unwillingly started moving towards the group.

I was walking so slow but my anxiety made it feel like i was approaching too fast.

I took a deep breath and officially approached them,

"That's why she got kicked off the team now, all that playin she do," The leader of the group gossiped.

"yea and—uh, girl you got company," Another one said to her. She looked behind her and was taken aback by my appearance.