[ 12 ]

Chapter 12, awake

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦

You winced in the sunlight of the early morning, your (colour) eyes met with the ceiling. The gentle clinking of glass of a wind chime just outside your room almost nostalgic.

Your eyes softened as they fell down slightly, relaxing. You tensed your body briefly before releasing it, feeling more awake now. When you shifted your head you noticed Shinazugawa was no longer by your side. 'Ah... he must've covered my patrol last night... it's still so early, will he come back?' You had hundreds of thoughts in the moment yet that was the most predominated question in your mind.

'I should probably get up.'

You forced yourself to sit up, your duvet falling down to your hips as you realised you were still in your dirty core uniform. Your skin itchy and hot against the sweat.

You heaved yourself up, folding your bedding before pushing it into a cabinet before you made your way through your house to the washroom.

*

You sighed to yourself as you sunk into the steaming water of the bathtub. Your elbows rested on the edge of the wooden tub, the warm water running up to your collarbones was like pure bliss against your skin. Your (colour) hair swirled around in the murky water like flower petals in the wind.

"Gosh... I needed this."

*

You slowly padded out of the washroom, a fresh kimono clinging to your body, white wraps running under your armpits and across your back to keep the sleeves from getting in the way. As you where walking to the engawa on the side of your residence your crow landed on your shoulder.

"Caw! Caw! A message from Shinazugawa-sama, he requests you drink the supplements he left in your kitchen on Kocho-samas behalf!"

You nodded to the feathery animal perched on your shoulder before speaking.

"Alright, Mimi. Also, ask him if we could follow up from the letter he sent me."

You requested with a pat to the crows head before it took off. 'He stated he needed to speak with me urgently in the letter... could it be? No. It's probably something regarding our training. It's stupid to feel anything more than mutual affection towards a peer.' The thought that captivated your mind was so protruding it almost made your ears hurt. You knew that he cared for you, but was it merely him being kind? It was hard to tell, Shinazugawa kept to himself or scared people off, usually. Yet could the two of you being drawn together countless times be kismet? The answer remained unnamed to you.

You were broken from your train of thought as you heard the soft melody of birds singing. 'Right, I need to clean my katana.'

Soon you sat kneeled down on the engawa. A clay cup filled with tea of some sort left by Shinobu by your side as you wiped down the blade of your sword with an oiled rag.

"Kismet..."

You found yourself muttering as you wiped the blade down the length of the metal in your lap. You usually liked cleaning your blade, it was calming. Yet today it was different. You felt on edge, like you were unable of achieving a state of relaxation or rest. You turned, gripping the clay cup just too hard as you picked it up. Bringing it to your lips as you tilted your head back, downing the stained liquid as it coated your mouth in an unpleasant taste.

You grimaced as you set down the cup, staring into nothingness. You were feeling it again. You just felt... numb. You pursed your lips as you thought, your mind an endless house of him. 'Stupid Shinazugawa boy.' You cursed mentally, you had no clue why you were suddenly so infatuated by him. You felt guilty about it, was it fair to feel like this about your coworker? Of course not! If anything you'd only bring him down, he's more of a 'lone wolf' than anything. He doesn't care for anyone or anything besides doing his job.

...

But then why was it whenever you glanced at him you saw his eyes quickly averting like he had been looking your way? Why was it whenever the two of you talked you noticed his gaze softening ever so slightly? And why was it whenever your skin grazed his, or the two of you sat next to eachother you felt this rapid fluttering in your chest? And your heart pounding so loud you could hear it?

You where captivated. [ IV OF SPADES REFERENCE!!!! ]

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦

756 words

Forgive me for my slowed rate in posting new chapters! I'm stumped for ideas, but I'll force myself to keep a good schedule : )