[ 14 ]

Chapter 14, bonsai

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦

As (colour) eyelashes flickered open they were met with bright rays of sun and throbbing limbs. It was seemingly quite early, and despite having a hearty dinner, another long soak and time to meditate your nightly patrol still left you so sore the next morning. You groaned quietly while sitting up, inspecting the gauze-wrapped hands that sit contently in your lap, still not fully awake.

Just as you were about to get up you noticed your crow standing next to you, a rolled up peice of paper attached to its ankle as it looked up at you with hopeful eyes.

You smiled at the feathery animal, gently patting its head before taking the letter from it. The crow hopped away before flying up to and perching atop a tree branch as you rolled up your futon and duvet, sliding it into a cupboard. You then kneeled down on the floor, unrolling the letter and reading it thoroughly.

"Dear, (L/n).
In response to your inquiry, yes. Although I would like to change where we meet. I hear there's a summer festival in your town soon- I thought I could accompany you to the festival. Write back soon.
- S. Shinazugawa."

Your eyes widened as you read the letter, you knew technically he asked you out in the first letter he sent you. But this time it was different, he asked to accompany you- that's technically a date!

*

As you kneeled at the chabudai, you couldn't focus. The supple skin of your hands cupped a clay bowl filled with tonkatsu curry, yet you were looking out at the orange tinted sky through the shoji doors. 'So he really asked me out? Could that mean- no. Don't think that way, (y/n). It's probably just a thing between peers! Friends go out to festivals together, no?' (Colour) skin coated hands released the bowl in front of you as you clasped them together, exhaling before you spoke to yourself.

"Thank you for the meal."

*

(Colour) eyes flickered over the small tree you housed in your room. Leaf clippings falling onto the skirt of your yukata as you trimmed the plants shape. The last sunlight of the day spilled over you, illuminating your face in the low light. A candle flickered next to you, small wax droplets falling into its holder. [ idk what the heck it's called sorry (T-T) ]

You smiled to yourself as you carefully trimmed your pet plant. Slowly but surely shaping it to be more circular. It was a bonsai, they're beautiful- it's only natural to a wealthy woman like you to own one. 'I wonder if Shinazugawa-san likes bonsai trees? I could give him a sapling as a thank you-gift for inviting me out to a festival. That seems quite fitting.' You thought to yourself, content with your idea.

You felt yourself yawning, arms outstretched above your head as the scissors in your hands dropped to the floor.

Clink.

"Just like clockwork..."

You muttered to yourself as you wiped the plant clippings from your lap underneath the short stool your leafy pet sat on. You shuffled towards your futon before laying down on it, sighing as you relaxed under the warm embrace of your duvet.

"Goodnight, world."

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦

544 words

I'm so sorry this is coming out so late! School recently started back up again so I've been bombarded by homework lately...