Ch 3

I stand in the crowd of initiates and look around at everyone. 

One Abnegation.

One Amity.

Three Erudite.

Five Candor.

The rest are all Dauntless-born.

"This is where we divide," a Dauntless woman named; Lauren, says. "The Dauntless-born initiates are with me. I assume you don't need a tour of the place." She explains. The Dauntless-born initiates break from the group leaving 10 of us left.

"Most of the time I work in Intelligence, but for the next few weeks, during your training, I'll be your instructor. My name's Four." The Dauntless man from the net explains. "Four like the number?" Christina asks. Four nods his head, "Exactly like the number." He states. "What happened, one through three were taken?" Christina inquires jokingly. Some initiates chuckle at the joke. But something about Four, tells me, this is not a man you should joke around with. Four smirks briefly before stepping towards Christina. "What's your name?" He asks. "Christina." She answers. "Well, Christina. The first thing you learn from me, if you wanna survive here, is keep your mouth shut. Do you understand me?" Four snarled. "Yes." Christina answered softly. "Good." Four voiced walking away. "Follow me." He called out. 

"What a jerk." Christina mumbles. "I guess he doesn't like to be laughed at." The Abnegation tells her.

Throughout the tour, I can't keep my eyes off Christina. Something about her draws me in, I don't know why. 

We arrive to a large open area with loud cacophonous noise. "This is the Pit. The center of life here at Dauntless." Four explains. The environment feels exciting, like I can visually see myself enjoying life here. But I need to pass initiation first. 

"People ever jump?" I ask Four. "Not a question I like to answer, Amity. But yeah, sometimes. People who can't handle initiation and take the coward's way out because they don't want to become factionless." Four explains. 

"Hey, Stiff. Maybe you should try doing something like that." The Candor boy from earlier voices. I roll my eyes, I'm starting to not like this kid. 

After a few minutes, we come to a dormitory. "You're gonna be sleeping here for the next 10 weeks." Four announces. "Girls or boys?" The large Candor boy named Al, questions. "Both." Four answers. "If you like this, you're gonna love the bathroom." Four states as we follow him to the room of conversation. 

No privacy, no curtains, everything is all out in the open. Some of the other initiates voiced their concerns about the lack of privacy. 

"Are you kidding?"

"Is there no other area?

"Seriously?"

"You should feel right at home, Candor. Everything out in the open." Four spat towards Christina.

Christina blushed slightly from embarrassment. 

"Get changed." Four ordered walking out. 

"Right. Shower anyone?" An Erudite boy asked jokingly. 

I stand next to my bed and strip off my former faction's clothes. "Nice legs, Stiff." The Candor told the Abnegation girl. 

I finish getting dressed in out initiate uniforms and follow the others towards a furnace where we throw our old faction clothes away. Ashes to ashes, I guess.

We arrive at a large cafeteria with cheering Dauntless members. They all stare at us, like fresh meat. The group of us break apart to find seats at the long rows of tables.

The Abnegation and Christina take a seat at a table occupied by Four, Al, Will, and a few other initiates. 

"Yo! Amity!" A boy calls out. I turn to find a boy with dark bronze skin and a gleaming white smile. He waves me over to his table. I recognize him as one of the Dauntless-Born initiates. I take seat next to him. 

"I'm Uriah." He introduces. "Ethan." I answer. 

"That was an impressive jump, dude. People are still talking about it." A girl sitting across from Uriah states. "Marlene, he didn't jump, he practically walked off the roof." Another girl stated. 

"Lynn, the first two initiates to quote-on-quote jump were transfers. That girl from Abnegation and this guy, right here." Uriah explained patting me on the back.

"Maybe he has a death wish. You have a death wish, Amity?" Lynn asked me. "Possibly, I mean I did join Dauntless after all." I answer with a shrug. Uriah and Marlene burst out in laughter. "Amity's got jokes." Uriah sounded through his laughter. After a moment or two, I begin laughing with Uriah and Marlene.

After about 10 minutes or so, an alarm began blaring and the members of Dauntless started banging their metal cups against the table. "Initiates, stand." A man called out from above. I rose to my feet along with Uriah, Marlene, Lynn, and the other initiates in the room. 

"You have chosen to join the warrior faction tasked with the defense of this city and all its inhabitants. We believe in ordinary acts of bravery and the courage that drives one person to stand up for another. Respect that. Do us proud." The man voiced before leaving. 

The room erupted into cheer before I felt myself lifted off my feet and hoisted into the air by members of Dauntless. The other initiates were being lifted as well. A moment of celebration before weeks of grueling training and initiation. "Dude! Enjoy it!" Uriah shouted before exclaiming in excitement. I did the same a second later and cheered loud and proud of myself. I've made it this far, and I ain't stopping.