42 ● Crumble

Life is supposed to be painful
Because it isn't a paradise.

Taimoor clutches his hand around the wheel of his chair and pushes it forward to move from his place to his closet

Taimoor clutches his hand around the wheel of his chair and pushes it forward to move from his place to his closet. He had shifted back to the central wing. The closet seemed entirely untouched. His clothes were neatly organized and ironed. He put his hand through all of them, barely reaching it fully to be able to pull it out.

He pushed it towards the mirror. His face was too pale and void of any life it had. His lips were hardly any color and dehydrated.

“Was I really not out there for almost two and a half years?” His eyebrows stretched a little. “What a waste!” He said, absurdly and stared at his reflection.

“Would she be still here or… married to someone else? but she can't be married to someone else right?”

He opened one of the drawers from twelve drawers. He took the notebook in his lap and closed the drawer. His lips stretched into a smile as he brushed his fingers in the roughness of the paper. He read the first word. His heart still skipped a beat.

Juveria’s Taimoor.

It was crazy how they had named each other on their notebooks. And he remembered how he had written her name in her notebook as Taimoor’s Juveria. He turned the pages and read the entries.

07/06/2021
Monday

I know what you came here for. But Tamy! If you did come here. Know that Juveria still loves you. Never ever forget the fact that she is the peace of your eyes. It's ironic that we were not allowed to meet anyone for more than a year because of a stupid plague.

University started a week ago but all I can think about is how to tell Baba about Juveria. The worst he can do is disown me, what more than that? I don't understand why Baba hates Hashim's.

I still remember that evening when I met Juveria at a mutual friends' feast. She and I studied in different schools but she joined my university. And that's how I met her when we were in eleventh. Her eyes sharpened every time she talked with someone, purposefully rolling them so that she seemed rude. She wasn't. I know and I guess that's what entirely matters. And the first thing I told her and what she responded still gives me.

“You are not rude. Don't try to look like one. But why do you do that?”

“I don't like people including… you.”

“The pause said something else.”

“You might be the hero of the class. But remember I am the villain; villain who wins.”