47 ● Console

Every heart surrenders once and somewhere they never expect to do so.

Farah had stopped looking at Shuraim nor did she look at Jannat. She didn't care anymore which made Jannat more uneasy in her seat. Shuraim didn't spare a glance at her, making Jannat a little courageous about them. Ali sat beside Ahsan, Taimoor and Shuraim while the feast happened. Aayat, Rumana, Farah, Jannat, Suhera and Juveria sat across.

“Suhera made the briyani.” Ahsan recalled looking at Ali after he winked at Suhera making sure nobody noticed it.

“Oh really?” Ali asks, astonished. “No wonder why it tastes absolutely delicious.” All chuckled but Taimoor and Juveria. “Taimoor bhai taught me this. Of course it had to be good.”

He faked a smile again. “I didn't do much. You cook it better than me Suhy.”

“Suhera told me that you and Shuraim cook. That's such a good thing you guys learnt for your wives. Jannat is lucky.” Jannat blushed at Aayat’s compliment. “Ahsan is learning as well.” Farah pointed out, looking at him. “Yeah… I only made cheesecake,” he said embarrassed. “And I loved that,” Suhera said, almost quickly making them laugh.

It was time for dessert. Juveria served as she had eaten less and fast. “Ahsan you made it?” Ali teased, smiling. “Baba…” Ahsan and Shuraim chuckled. Suhera couldn't believe her eyes as her lips stretched into a smile. The bond between Ali and Ahsan was a sight to see. She yearned to see that. She wished that every night as she cried about Ali's anger.

“I would have talked about Ahsan and Suhera's reception… if Aalam was here.” Ali speaks, gently wiping his mouth with a tissue. “Of course.” Aayat hesitated, as she took her phone. “I'll try calling him.”

Then the bell rang. Salma, the cook, walked to open the door, in came Aalam with his coat in his hands and a grip on his mobile and his expressions tired but fresh enough to throw a nasty smile. Ali smiled back looking at him with disgrace.

“Assalamualaikum… welcome! Welcome.” he says. Ali nods, standing up and hugging him. Everybody in the room knew it was a moment of a decade. And this union will bring things they wouldn't imagine.

“Walaikum assalam. I apologize, Aalam. If I would have known you would come, I wouldn't have eaten without you.”

“I understand. I had things to do and I was tired as well.”

Suhera didn't look up, rather she just stared at the dessert. Juveria is sitting beside her, her uneasiness was noticeable for her. She kept her hand around Suhera's and assured her. In the course of time, Suhera and Juveria had been great friends. Farah too joined them a lot of times in their hangouts but she was more busy with her work. In the meantime, Suhera and Juveria became really good partners.

“It's nothing…” Juveria murmurs. “Your father is here so Dad won't do anything.” Suhera nods. “And I don't think he is up for anything anymore.”