CHAPTER SEVEN

「 ✦ STRANGER ✦ 」
CHAPTER SEVEN

MAY 2ND, 2024

caitlin was on cloud nine. all the times she's played basketball in the past few years hasn't felt right without isa watching her in the crowd. the fact that isa is going to be there for her first ever wnba game is as full circle as life can get. caitlin knew isa and mari's plane would be landing fairly late into the afternoon and she had been more than a little skeptical to send them an uber to ride in alone. she hears one too many horror stories.

it took a lot of bribing and begging but she ends up being able to convince her primary security guard, rich, to take a round trip uber with her to the airport. that way they can have a safe trip and honestly because she can't wait to see isa any longer.

"you can't go in the airport because you'll be recognized so i'll have to go inside and get them." rich says from the passenger's seat.

the uber driver has been on his best behavior, probably a little intimidated by the 6'8 man who has been keeping an eye on him the whole time.

"come on rich, why not?" caitlin groans.

rich looks at her through the rearview mirror. "don't ask stupid questions, kid. you know, you're not even supposed to be here at all."

"whatever." caitlin huffs crossing her arms. "their plane landed fifteen minutes ago so they should definitely be at baggage claim by now." caitlin informs.

"alright." rich says opening the door.

"rich please let me come you don't even know who you're looking for!" caitlin tries one more time.

"oh no trust me, i remember her face." he says before closing the door.

caitlin taps her foot nervously looking up at the uber driver. he's secretly typing something on his phone and caitlin attempts to take a peek. he eventually looks to the side and sees caitlin staring.

"excuse me." he says as he turns his phone away.

"oh sorry..." she apologizes turning her attention back to the window. "bad habit."

about five more minutes pass of caitlin staring out the window before she's finally sees them heading in the car's direction. isa and mari are talking while looking at something on isa's phone. caitlin puts her hood up over her head and opens the door. she steps out and begins walking to meet them.

"you were supposed to stay in the car." rich says but caitlin ignores him.

isa looks up from the phone to see what's going on and smiles as soon as she realizes it's caitlin under the horrible attempt to disguise herself. she holds her arms out and caitlin melts into them.

"hi caitlin." isa says quietly.

"hey stranger." caitlin mutters into her neck. after a while they pull apart and caitlin looks over at mari. "hi mari." caitlin says going in for a light friendly hug. mari takes her chance and jumps into the hug knocking caitlin back a bit. "oh okay!" caitlin laughs taken off guard.

caitlin hugs her back while looking over at isa. isa can't help but laugh, honestly impressed more than anything by mari's boldness.

"i'm so sorry i just couldn't resist." mari says as she pulls away.

"it's alright, a friend of isa's is a friend of mine." caitlin smiles.

after rich takes their bags to the trunk, they all climb back in to head back the hotel.

"are you guys hungry?" caitlin asks as she closes the car door behind them.

"a little." mari says buckling herself in.

"how's whataburger sound?" caitlin asks.

mari gasps. "oh my god yes i was just telling isa how i wanted to try it but she said no."

"okay i didn't say no," isa jolts in. "i just said i doubt caitlin would want to eat fast food when she has a game tomorrow."

"well i don't mind." caitlin says before leaning forward up to the uber. "so sorry dude but can you stop by whataburger before the hotel?"

the uber driver sighs loudly obviously a little fed up with the demands.

"come on man, i'll feed you and i'll up the tip." caitlin adds on with a smile.

"how much?" he asks.

"i don't know." caitlin shrugs. "you tell me the price."

"fifty bucks." he spits out quickly.

"only fifty? yeah alright that works." caitlin says as she digs for her wallet in her sweatpants pocket. she slaps a fifty dollar bill down on the center console and he snatches it up quickly.

"alright whataburger it is." the driver says while changing lanes.

"oh to be rich." mari sighs.

caitlin laughs. "as long as you're with me, you are rich." isa shakes her head at caitlin. "what?" caitlin asks.