CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

「 ✦ STRANGER ✦ 」
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

OCTOBER 16TH, 2019

She wasn't gay, it was a mistake.

Isabella convinced herself it was just confusion, that she is just confusing her appreciation of her friendship with Caitlin for something else, for something it wasn't.

It was Drew that Isabella liked, not Caitlin, and she was certain about it.

She didn't mean to do it.

It had been 11 days since it happened. 11 days since Isa swears she fucked it all up. 11 days since she has really spoken to Caitlin. The rides to school were silent, their work on the documentary paused indefinitely.

All morning long, she swore she could feel Caitlin's eyes on her from across the nave, in her respective homeroom pew. She refused to look though, afraid to confirm or deny if she was right. The prayer was hard to listen to. She couldn't focus. She was too set on thinking about Caitlin. Too set on thinking about what happened with Caitlin.

"You okay?" Drew asks quietly from beside Isabella.

Instead of answering she just nods, reaching for his hand. Drew smiles, tightly holding her hand back. This was the most intimate thing they've done together so far, and since it didn't feel entirely too wrong, Isabella just went with it. Everything was fine, that is until she hears the doors of the nave slamming shut from behind her. She lifts her head from the ground, her eyes immediately shooting over to where Caitlin was standing. Where Caitlin was no longer standing.

Caitlin never came back to mass, and Isabella swore the last few minutes felt like years. Finally able to let go of Drew's hand, Isabella subtly wipes her hand off on her pants.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something, if that's okay?" Drew asks while they're exiting.

"What is it?" Isabella answers. Her eyes search through the crowded hallway, still no Caitlin in sight.

"So what do you think?" Drew asks.

Isabella doesn't realize she missed the question and nods her head, still looking around. "Yeah Drew, that sounds great."

"What are you looking for?" Drew asks, turning his head to look behind him where she was looking.

"Nothing." Isabella says finally giving up.

"So i'll pick you up next Saturday, how's 8 sound?"

Isabella widens her eyes. "What?"

"You just said that you wanted to go to the halloween party with me." Drew says.

"Oh, I Did?"

"Yeah...so 8?" Drew asks again. Isabella hesitantly nods in confirmation. "Perfect, I'll send you some matching costume ideas, and you can let me know which one you want to do." He smiles at her one last time before heading off in his usual direction of his first period.

Isabella searches the hallway once more before deciding to just head to class as well.