CHAPTER SIX

「 ✦ STRANGER ✦ 」
CHAPTER SIX

AUGUST 26TH, 2019

"looking beautiful girls, let me take your picture!" rory's mom exclaims, rushing to grab her phone.

"mom it's too early for this and caitlin is waiting outside." rory groans.

"even better, let's go outside so i can take a picture of all three of you!"

isabella laughs knowing that is the opposite of what rory wanted her to say. they make their way outside and isabella waves caitlin out of the car.

"what's going on?" caitlin asks as she's stepping out.

isabella grabs a hold of caitlin's arm. "momma christensen says it's picture time."

"oh of course it is." caitlin laughs.

they all move to stand together, isabella in the middle, rory to her right and caitlin to her left. she keeps her arm linked around caitlin's and slings her other arm around rory's shoulder.

"say happy first day of school!" rory's mom cheers, clicking the picture button a few too many times.

"happy first day of school." isabella and caitlin say enthusiastically. rory mumbles the phrase under her breath.

"please smile aurora." mrs. christensen begs.

rory does a quick smile before separating herself from the group. "okay that's enough."

"fine. do you guys want separate pictures without ms. grumpy pants over here?" mrs. christensen asks caitlin and isabella who are still standing together.

isabella looks at caitlin who smiles and nods. rory's mom smiles as well, happy that she could at least convince them to let her capture the moment. after a few more photos she holds a thumbs up.

"okay i'll let you guys go. i'll send them to you!" she says giving them all a quick hug and making her way back inside the house.

"so embarrassing." rory complains as she's getting into the car.

"why? i think it's cute." isabella says.

they pick up josie and despite rory's original grumpiness, the rest of the car ride to school is spent in fairly high spirits. they pull into the parking lot and isabella lets out a gasp.

"jeez how many kids go here?" she asks.

"like a thousand or something." caitlin says.

isabella's jaw drops. "oh my god, what if i get lost?"

"you won't get lost, you got me." caitlin smiles. "speaking of that, let me see your schedule." isabella hands it over and watches as caitlin compares their schedules together. "damnit we've only got two classes and lunch together?" caitlin frowns.

"really?" isabella leans over her shoulder to take a look. "well at least it's something."

"i guess." caitlin mumbles. "well i'll just meet you after the rest of your classes and walk with you to your next one."

"aw you'll be my tour guide?" isabella rests her chin on caitlin's shoulder.

caitlin nods. "mhm the best one ever you might even say. top tier a plus status."

"oh shut up." isabella laughs.

"so how was it?" caitlin asks isabella once she meets her outside of her last class of the day.

"caitlin you've asked me this after every class already." isabella says. "but it went pretty good."

"i know but anything could've happened. i'm glad it stayed good though."

"how was yours?" isabella asks back to her.

"it was alright." caitlin answers honestly. "i haven't seen a lot of them since last school year ended."

"why not?"

"busy with basketball stuff." caitlin says nonchalantly.

"do you ever hate how much your life revolves around basketball?" isabella asks.

caitlin shrugs. "i don't know, maybe. i love basketball though so i can deal with it."

they make their way through the crowded hallways and out to the parking lot. "who's that?" isabella asks pointing to caitlin's car.

leaning on the hood of her car stands a tall brunette boy who's typing away on his phone. "you've got to be fucking kidding me." caitlin mutters under her breath.

"do you know him?" isabella asks again.

caitlin says nothing as they continue walking over. the boy finally looks up, a smirk ridden on his face.

"hi cc." he says mockingly.

"what do you want drew?" caitlin gets straight to the point.

"i heard you had a new little friend and i wanted to see for myself." he says as he shamelessly checks isabella out. "hi, im drew."