CHAPTER FIFTEEN

「 ✦ STRANGER ✦ 」
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

MAY 28TH , 2024

"congratulations on the thirty piece tonight caitlin, that's a crazy feat." the reporter starts. caitlin thins her lips into a disingenuous smile, knowing the sentence that's going to follow. "but it wasn't enough to get the win, that's gotta be rough yeah?"

"yeah." caitlin mutters out.

"how are you guys handling this now 1-7 run with such grace when you're going out there and giving it your all, but still coming out short."

jesus christ, that's harsh. caitlin thinks.

"yeah uh—" caitlin scratches at her head. "we're just handling it the best we can, i think if we give up now we're not going to have a chance to get anywhere. we're leaving today knowing we won't let 1-7 turn to 1-39. i believe in my team and our abilities to get out of this funk and it's either we win together or lose together but at the end of the day we do it together and that's what we've gotta keep our sights on." caitlin says. "more work and higher hopes, you know?"

"yes, thank you." the reporter answers.

"you're so good at that." aliyah says to caitlin once they enter the locker room.

"good at what?" caitlin asks.

"turning something bad into something good. how you handled that backhanded ass question was insane."

"oh, thanks i guess." caitlin answers. "hey, maybe your overly nice personality is rubbing off on me." she jokes.

"oh shush." aliyah laughs, pushing her shoulder. "there is no such thing as being overly nice."

caitlin pretends to think for a second before shaking her head. "mm yeah no, there definitely is."

they walk to the parking garage together continuing on their conversation, caitlin glad to have a distraction on what's usually a lonely walk.

"oh shit, i'm sorry." caitlin apologizes when her ringing phone interrupts aliyah's sentence. she digs her phone out of her pocket and stares at the name on her screen. she looks over at aliyah. "i'm sorry i should take this."

"it's all good, my cars right here anyways. i'll see you tomorrow." aliyah smiles going her separate way.

"hello?" caitlin answers.

"oh, hey." isa's voice comes out so quiet caitlin can barely hear her.

"hey, are you okay?" caitlin asks.

isa sniffles over the phone before clearing her throat. "yeah i'm okay. it's nice to hear your voice, know that you're alive and all."

caitlin falls silent, her feet slowly coming to a stop about five feet from her car. "i'm sorry isa." caitlin apologizes.

"i saw you scored thirty tonight. that's great, caitlin, good job." isa changes the subject.

"oh, thank you. we still lost though."

"yeah well," isa trails off. "sometimes losses need to happen."