CHAPTER EIGHT

「 ✦ STRANGER ✦ 」
CHAPTER EIGHT

AUGUST 30TH, 2019

to isabella, friday night lights is perhaps the most american thing to exist, but not in a bad way. what better way to spend a friday night than at a football game with crowded bleachers of high schoolers dressed in USA theme. you could imagine her shock when she saw hot dogs, burgers, and popcorn being sold at the concessions stand for just two dollars each. maybe america isn't so bad is what the girl thinks as she scarfs down her second hot dog of the night.

"hey you might wanna slow your roll, those things have consequences." caitlin says from beside her.

it's safe to say isabella isn't the only one enjoying the friday night lights. caitlin is currently clad in red white and blue overalls along with two stripes face paint under each of her eyes.

isabella swallows her last bite, already weighing the consequences of another. "but they're just so good."

caitlin points at isabella. "see those right there, those are famous last words of many dowling students that came before you."

"okay fine i won't have anymore." isabella huffs.

the game was a pretty close one, the maroons currently being down 21-17. with possession of the ball and one minute left, the maroons have got to make a touchdown to win.

"i bet five bucks with olivia that we're gonna win so we better win." caitlin complains.

"wow five whole bucks." isabella gasps. what ever would you do without it."

"shut up." caitlin laughs.

"holy shit look!" isabella gasps pointing ahead at the field.

the final play was unfolding beautifully in front of their eyes. the quarterback just threw the ball 60 yards in a hail mary attempt to get the last second touchdown for the win. it was almost eerie how the crowd went silent, anticipating the catch. the moment felt as if it was in slow motion as the player caught it and landed right into the end zone. the crowd erupts and everyone starts jumping all over the place.

"holy fuck!" caitlin shouts shaking isabella by her shoulders. she then gets a little ahead of herself, picking the girl up into the air and rushing to the field with the rest of the crowd.

"oh my!" isabella exclaims latching her arms around caitlin's neck afraid she's going to fall and be trampled to death.

"now this is the real high school experience right here." caitlin says to isabella before placing her down on the field.

the rest of the students catch up, filling the field as well to celebrate with the football team. caitlin slings her arm around isabella's shoulder in what isabella figures to be an attempt to keep her safe in the huge crowd.

"this is pretty cool." isabella says leaning into caitlin.

"you think this is cool? just wait until basketball rolls around."

"hey!" rory rushes up behind the two of them.

caitlin gasps. "oh hell you scared me! where the hell have you been all night?"

"don't worry about it. are we going to the party later?" rory asks straight to the point.

"drew's party? hell to the no."

"it's not drew's party caitlin, he's just the main promoter for some reason."

caitlin shakes her head. "nah, no way."

"come on caitlin, we've gotta go! especially after the win." rory whines.

"is it the bonfire one?" isabella asks.

"yes." rory says. "help me convince her please."

isabella pokes caitlin in the side. "you really don't want to go?"

"oh come on, don't tell me you want to go now too." caitlin groans dropping her arm from isabella's shoulder.

"i don't know, it could be fun." isabella says. "don't you wanna give me the full high school experience?"

"do not use my line on me, no fucking way." caitlin says as she starts to walk away.

"come back." isabella chases after her, grabbing onto her hand. "please let's go. it'll be fun." caitlin turns to face her again and isabella pouts. "please."

caitlin scoffs. "you think that's gonna work on me?"

caitlin sits on the log still not fully comprehending the fact that she actually gave into coming to the party. rory and josie are across the fire talking to some of their soccer teammates. isabella is just a few feet in front of her, roasting a marshmallow over the fire. she glances back at caitlin with a huge smile before looking back and realizing her marshmallow is on fire. she starts blowing viciously causing caitlin to laugh.

"it's not funny, it's burnt." isabella pouts walking back over to caitlin.

"no it's perfect." caitlin says before tearing the top layer of isabella's marshmallow off and eating it.

"hey you thief! get your own!"

"you ever had a s'more?" caitlin asks.

"no what's that?" isabella asks.

"are you serious? please tell me you're kidding?"

"i'm not." isabella

caitlin smiles standing to her feet. "stay right here, im going to change your life."

she walks over to the table a few feet away and grabs a plate. she crafts up her concoction of a smore, with the perfect graham cracker to chocolate ratio. she rushes back over to violetta so the marshmallow doesn't lose its heat.

"put the marshmallow in the middle right now." caitlin demands.

isabella quickly does what she says and caitlin squishes the marshmallow between the two crackers and chocolate. she picks it up and holds it up to isabella's mouth. isabella takes a bite, her eyes widening almost immediately.

"holy hell." she says between chewing.

"yeah? you like it?" caitlin asks before taking a bite herself.

isabella nods. "you shouldn't have shown me that, i'm going to eat a million of those by the end of the night."

"as long as you don't blame me in the morning."

the two of them continue bonding over isabella's newfound love for s'mores, ignoring everything going on around them.

"oh you've got some chocolate." isabella laughs pointing at caitlin's mouth.

"what, where?" caitlin asks, darting her tongue out to try and find what isabella is referring to.

"here i got it." isabella leans forward, swiping her thumb over caitlin's lips. she then puts her thumb in her mouth before casually continuing on.

"hey there you two." drew's voice appears.

caitlin immediately straightens up, trying to ignore the feeling that was just happening to her moments before.

"i'm glad you guys ended up being able to make it after all. are you enjoying yourselves?" drew continues on.

isabella holds up her s'more with a smile on her face. "yeah these things are good."

caitlin wishes she could tell isabella to just not talk to drew at all but that's a situation she doesn't want to have to go to into. and it's not like she owns isabella, she's completely her own person.

"good i'm glad to hear that, isabella." drew smiles before walking away.

isabella turns to face caitlin. "see that wasn't so bad right?"

caitlin ignores her accidentally, unable to unfocus from the fact that he just used her name. something as trivial as him learning and using her name despite caitlin's great efforts to prevent that from happening has caitlin realizing this situation won't end good at all. drew is not going to give up until he gets what he's been after all these years. however, caitlin is afraid that what he wants has changed and what scares her even more is the fact that they may have their eyes on the same thing.