The Bait

Chow hit the button for the top floor as soon they were all inside the elevator. Marley's heart was pounding. It was strange, she knew they had Chow and all he had to do was give Kingsley a few numbers and they would have Teddy. But, she couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. She was stood in front of Phil, his body close to hers in a way that was comforting. At least through everything, she knew he was there.

'Time in a Bottle' by Jim Croce was playing over the elevator speaker. As the introduction to the song faded into the verse, Chow began singing and swaying.

"If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do..."

Alan joined in, "Is to save everyday 'til eternity passes away, just to spend them with you."

"Are you guys seriously this calm?" Stu cut them off, which Marley was thankful for.

"Relax, Stuart. It's classic switcheroo." Chow shrugged him off, "I give him money, he gives us Teddy."

"Ever do anything that doesn't end in a standoff, Chow?" Phil glared at him.

"I'm an international criminal, it always ends like this. I met my wife at one of these things."

Marley looked up at him to see if he was joking, "You have a wife?"

"Yeah. We married 15 years. What? Chow not good-looking enough for woman, Marley?"

She shook her head, "No, just surprised. That's all."

The elevator dinged to tell them they were finally at the 64th floor. The doors opened to two hostesses greeting them with smiles. "Welcome to the Tower Club."

"Blah, blah, blah. Who cares?" Chow waved them off before walking away.

Marley rolled her eyes and looked to the ladies and gave them an apologetic smile, "Thank you."

"Stop!" Chow walked right in front of some other people trying to pass them. "Chow crossing. Chow crossing."

They walked out onto the roof area, the sun hitting all of them. One thing Marley had been thankful for this entire time was her sunglasses. She was also thankful for Phil's sunglasses and how hot they made him look, but it wasn't the time to think about that.

"Hey, Kingsley!" Chow called over to him with a smile and wave.

"Well, well!" Kingsley smiled back to him.

"You been hitting the gym?"

Kingsley nodded, "Yes, I am, actually. Thank you for noticing, Chow." He looked up at the others walking behind Chow, "Hey, guys and gorgeous. Have a seat." His comment made Phil push Marley to sit further away so that he was in between her and Kingsley.

"Where's Teddy?" Stu asked.

"He's waiting downstairs in my car. We'll send him up when the transfer is complete."

"Tell you what," Chow spoke, "Give me extra 50 grand and you keep Teddy. And I throw in the pretty bitch for free." He pointed to Marley as he laughed.

Kingsley laughed along with him, "Now that's an offer!"

Phil moved to get up but Marley was able to quickly stop him, knowing that if he started anything, they'd never get out of there. His fists were clenched and she could tell he was grinding his teeth. When he looked to her, she just shook her head, silently telling him to let it be.

"Let's just keep the agreement how it is." Phil muttered out to the two men next to them.

"Can we move this along?" Stu said.