Chapter 3 - Lesson

"Vi..." I said steadily. "You better stay down."

Vi wiped the blood from her nose and spat the blood that gathered in her mouth on the floor. She got up off from the one knee she was on and stood up, her fists at the ready.

I sighed.

I didn't know why Vi was doing this again.

It all started just three days ago when Vi argued with me. She didn't like what I said about following the ruled Dad had set in place. I went to grab her shoulder, but she spun around in anger and tried to throw a punch my way.

Let's just say it didn't end well for the enraged puppy.

I thought the nickname clever, but it just served to piss off the pink-haired girl even more. I wasn't one to start fights. I really wasn't.

But I sure was going to finish them.

"Is that the best you can do puppy? All bark and no bite... What a shame." I huffed.

"Fuck you, Dina!" Vi yelled through gritted teeth.

"Come one Vi. You can do better this. Use that brain of yours. I know you have one even if you don't use it often." I taunted.

I know it might seem like I'm being a bitch on purpose, but I was about to teach Vi a lesson that my Dad taught me.

A very valuable lesson.

"Just shut the fuck up!" Vi said as she charged at me.

I took my stance and readied myself.

One thing Vi didn't understand was that fighting wasn't just about who was stronger. A fight was also determined by the other 6 factors.

Stamina.

Speed.

Skill.

Will.

And the Environment.

The environment is important in this instance because this isn't a fight that people bet on for entertainment.

This is a street fight.

Street fights use all of those factors I listed above and one more.

Cheating.

We live in the Undercity where its on people will backstab you for just a chance to gain something more. Honor is a nice thought until you feel sand in your eyes or that knife in your back.

In the Lanes you do anything to survive.

When Vi got close enough and was throwing her punch, I moved just slightly back and had my left hand at the ready, waiting for the right time to counter. Vi's left-handed punch was almost to my face, so I made my move.

In a fluid motion, I moved slightly to the left, curling my body to the side, and threw a check hook with my left hand that landed on Vi's chin. I saw as Vi's consciousness faded, so I let her own momentum do the work of bringing her down to the floor.

At this point, everyone was watching us and the stared at me in stunned silence.

"Holy shit..." Mylo whispered.

"Vi!" Powder yelled in alarm.

The adorable girl ran up to her sister and checked to see if she was all right. I walked over to where Vi was laid out and did the same, checking her pulse to make sure everything was normal.

"Vi's all right Powder. I just knocked her out. She's going to be ok." I said in a reassuring tone.

"Why?" Powder whispered as tears fell from her face.

"Vi needed to learn a lesson." I replied.

"What lesson?" Powder asked.

While I scooped up Vi in my arms, I answered Powders question.

"That there is always someone stronger than you." I answered.

A silence took over The Last Drop at my answer.

With Vi in my arms, I was going to leave but I stopped and turned around to look at everyone.

"But... just because they are stronger doesn't mean you are weak. We all make choices, and those choices will decide whether we live or die. I hope you guys also take this lesson to heart. When you think about charging headfirst into a situation without a plan, think back to today." I said as I walked out of sight.

While I walk down the stairs, I think about the time Dad had taught me that same lesson.

I was angry.

So very angry that I kept losing when we spared.

And what dumb thing did I do?

Charged at him like some rabid animal.

Dad did the same thing I did and landed a check hook to my chin.

I was out.

Cold.

The memory made me chuckle.

When I made it to my room, I set Vi down on my bed gently and did another check to make sure the little puppy was ok. I didn't want to do that to Vi, but she needed to learn the lesson. It was tough love. I care for her and I'd rather her learn from me than from some disgusting person in the Lanes. She's safe and protected here but wouldn't be out there.

I drug a chair over from the corner and sat next to the bed.

I brushed a lock of hair out from Vi's face and studied the girl who disliked me.

In just three days, I was starting to like the little brute.

Vi had a fire in her that made my own grow to heights it never had reached before. I wondered if we could grow together. She just needed to learn to work with me instead of against me then we'd be unstoppable.

Vi's body rustled from the bed which meant she was waking up.

"Why does it feel like I got hit with a bat?" Vi groaned

I chuckled at her and sat back in my chair.

"How do you feel?" I asked.

"Awful. Did you have to do that?" Vi huffed as she tried to sit up but just ended up laying back down.

"I did, but I'm sorry you hurt. Want some ice for your face?" I asked.

"Yeah." Vi said, sighing.

"Here." I said as I tossed some her way.

It landed beside her on the bed. She grabbed it and immediately put it on her face. She let out a wince of pain but held it together.

Vi and I sat in silence for a minute until she spoke up again.

"I don't want to admit this, but you're a damn good fighter Dina." Vi admitted.

"D." I said.

"What?" Vi asked.

"D. Call me D. You've earned it." I replied.

"How the hell did I earn it? By getting my ass handed to me?" Vi scoffed.

I rolled my eyes.

"No, you earned it because you said I was a good fighter. You're smart of enough to see that and admit it even after you lost. That takes strength to, Vi." I said.

Vi looked over at me and her face scrunched up like she had eaten something sour but changed into a wide smile.

I smiled back, a toothy smile, and I knew then that we'd be good buddies.