Chapter 14 - Choices

POV: Vander

Everyone was gathered here at The Last Drop.

My home.

But I didn't like the energy the crowd was radiating.

I lit my match on the bar and brought it up to my pipe.

I furrowed my brow while I huffed on it.

"You sure that's what you want?" I asked to the crowd of people.

"Yeah, let's do it!"

I shook my head.

"We crossed that bridge once before, and we all know how that ended." I said, voice hard.

"You're just protecting your kids."

I looked back to my kids and rolled my eyes.

I am. So what? I've lost my wife to them... What else should I lose for ambitious people?

"I'm protecting our people. I' do the same for any one of you." I said, as I looked out to the crowd of people in understanding. "We look out for each other. It's the way its always been. This will blow over. We just need to stand together."

I looked around and my eyes landed on Sevika.

"The Vander I knew, the one who built the underground, wouldn't be afraid to fight." Sevika said with a hash tone.

Narrowing my eyes at Sevika, I slowly walked up to her, pipe in hand, and got close to where she could see the features on my face.

"Do I look afraid?" I asked, annoyed.

"No." Sevika replied, and I thought she was finally coming to her senses until she continued to speak. She leaned in closer so she could stare into my eyes. "You. Look. Weak."

Sevika then whistled for her people and walked out of The Last Drop

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Sevika.

Pops right hand.

I just watched her walk right out of The Last Drop because the time had come.

Pop said Sevika would turn on him and now was that time.

She was too "blood thirsty and didn't care about who would be collateral damage.

Pop told me a story that Sevika loved Mom just as much as he did. He said that the last of heart had died that day. He said Sevika had somewhat come back to life when Mom entered there's. He said he was happy for his childhood friend.

But now?

Now she was stone-cold.

Sevika had her goals and that was it.

I felt for the older woman, but I would stick by Pop even if she was on the other side.

My fists clenched at my sides and my lion rumbled low.

She was displeased with what was happening and so was I.

"Why isn't he doing anything?" Claggor asked from where we had watched everything happen.