Chapter 17

It was the time which Swara had dreaded. She had packed her bags. Ragini was looking her from a distance. She knew her best friend was hiding something big. She was trying hard to control her tears.

"I promise Ragu! If I get just a hint of reason of Swara's actions, I myself will come here to take her back!" Laksh said holding her shoulders.

"And what if we never get to know the reason!" Ragini asked.

"Truth has a tendency. If we decide to find it, it comes running towards us!" Laksh said. He then looked at the chequebook he was holding in his hand.

"What is this?" Ragini asked.

"Chequebook! Bhaiya asked for it!" Laksh said.

Sanskaar was sitting in his room. He was signing payment cheque for everyone who was in care for him. As he looked at the last cheque, his hands stopped. Beautiful memories surrounded him like a butterfly. He could not control his tears.

He never wanted to see Swara's face ever again. For the world, he put on a mask of moving on! For the world, he put a mask of happiness. But it was only his heart which knew how much he longed to see those eyes once again. But when he saw her again, the indifference in her eyes sieved his heart. Everytime she came to him, he felt she would talk to him, just once! But she did not! Maybe she has really moved on. But he could not hate her ever. Whatever they had, whether true or fake, he could not deny the fact that Swara was once his lifeline. He could not deny the truth that he would still accept Swara with open arms if she took just a single step. But maybe she did not want to!

"Sister Rama! Call Dr. Swara!" Sanskaar finally mustered the courage.

He sat on the couch nearby. It took less than a minute for Swara to enter his room.

"Thank you sister Rama! Can I have a talk with her in privacy? Hope you don't mind Dr. swara!"

Rama nodded and exited. For a moment, Sanskaar felt to shake Swara and ask her the reason of ditching him when he was on death bed! For a moment he wanted to hug her and tell her he won't let her go this time! But he stopped himself anyhow.

"Your pay cheque!" Sanskaar forwarded her a cheque.

Swara took the cheque with a little hesitation, but the next moment, it fell from her hands.

"11 lakh rupees!!!!" She exclaimed, "This is not my fees sir!"

Sanskaar turned around and looked at her. With a sigh, he said, "Your fees is just 1 lakh."

"Then why the rest of money?" Swara asked trying to be calm.

Sanskaar sighed and looked at her. With a trembling voice, he said, "I am paying you your money back. Remember when papa was in hospital... "

"I can't take it sir!" Swara said. There was a fierceness in her eyes.

"Dr Swara! Try to understand! I can't keep anyone's favour!" Sanskaar insisted.

"That was not a favor!" Swara raised her voice.

"Maybe that time it did not seem a favor to you. But since time and circumstances changed, it is definitely a favor to me! And I am sorry, but I can't keep that burden over me!" Sanskar's voice got raised too.

Swara felt a tear trickling down her cheek. She did not know what was hurting her more, the pay cheque or Sanskar's words.

Sanskaar too realized his words. As he saw the tear, he immediately stopped.

"I did not mean to hurt you! I am really sorry!" Sanskaar said trying to sit up from the couch.

"Please be seated!" Swara said wiping her tear.