Chapter 21

Standing near outside the main gate of Ashram, Sanskaar felt his hands getting numb. He could not lift up his feet. His body felt like ice. Just by the look in her eyes, he knew that she had understood everything. Neither he, nor she was moving.

Swara felt her breathe getting shallower. She was feeling numbness too. Suddenly, Srishti came from behind and tugged Swara's hands.

"What happened didi?" She asked.

Swara could not reply. Her eyes were fixed at the door.

Srishti looked at Ragini who was fiercely looking at Swara continuously.

"Why... Why are you staring at my didi like this!" She asked Ragini.

"Ask your didi! Ask whether or not she deserves this look from me!" Ragini replied without lifting off her gaze from Swara.

Srishti looked at Swara. Swara looked at her and nodded in approval.

"Swara didi!" Adarsh said, "Why?"

Swara did not say anything. She lowered her gaze. The numbness was taking her over. There was a deafening silence ringing in her ears.

Ragini looked at sanskaar who was still standing at the same place. She again looked at Swara who was standing like a stone.

"I wish I could redden your cheek with thousands of slaps right now! But you know what, before that I have to slap myself double the time!" Ragini's eyes had the heat that made Swara tremble a little.

"What's going on in here?" A voice came from behind. Sudha was standing there. She immediately came and stood in front of Swara.

"I am sorry ma'am! But I won't allow you or anyone to talk to her or any other resident of my ashram in this manner!" Sudha said covering Swara completely behind her back. But as soon as she looked at Ragini, she stopped. She tried a little and recalled her face. And then she looked at Swara.

"Shall we move inside?" Sudha asked them curtly to which Ragini nodded. Sudha looked at Sanskaar and then at Ragini.

After few minutes, everyone was sitting in the office of Sudha. Swara was sitting with her head hung low on a bench.

Sudha was staring unbelievably at Swara as Ragini was narrating the whole story.

"We never knew Swara was here! And when we got to know her address, the greatest actor of all time pretended to be so indifferent that we accepted that she does not want our presence in her life. Hai na Swara!" Ragini's eyes were now brimming but the anger was not lessened.

Sudha stood up from her chair. She moved towards Swara and carressed her hair gently. With love she said, "That's why you were so distressed since you came back!"

Swara nodded. She did not say anything else. But finally raised her gaze to look at Sanskaar who still had not said a single word since his arrival. He was as silent as the deep ocean.

"Mrs.Maheshwari!" Sudha said.

"Ragini!" Ragini corrected, "You are like a mother figure to Swara. Call me by my name!"

Sudha smiled and said, "Ragini! Swara went through so much more! When I found her.... "

Suddenly Swara held her wrist and pleaded with her eyes. Sudha looked at Swara and then at Ragini.

"Oh great Swara! How many more things are you hiding?" Ragini said angrily, "At least now let the truth be out!"

"Let me tell you all the truth!" A voice came from behind. Laksh had just entered the office.