~21: Trial Day One~

Megan's POV
Present Day
2024

I slipped my fist from underneath my chin while I sat in the courtroom; I scolded myself for remembering the last wholesome interaction between Beyonce and me. Her love was all I wanted, all I needed, at one point and part of me grieved the love we had or could've shared. Jill must've noticed my mind wandering because she squeezed my hand then rubbed it slightly.

She brought her lips to my ear. "You okay, baby?" The softness of her voice brought me back home.

But even though I felt more at ease, all I did was nod my head as I stared directly at Beyoncé, who had a conniving smirk displayed on her face. Her trial started just yesterday and the opening statements made me sick. Her defense team was avoiding all the major accusations against Beyoncé and just claimed she was a battered ex that I put through hell and high water...I was heartbroken. Lord knows she needed to be on trial for more than all she's done to me over the years; my daddy's death was still suspicious and I believed with every fiber of my being that Beyoncé had something to do with it.

Jill rubbed my leg as it was shaking. Nella, Hazel, and Jett were to my left; I contemplated allowing them to be in the courtroom hearing the trial but the damage wasn't only done to me, it was done to the family I created, to the woman I was engaged to, to the children that I declared as my own. She ruined me and she's damn lucky I didn't kill her.

Beyoncé walked to the defenses table in hand cuffs; thought she wore the cuffs, she wore a skintight, black dress that exaggerated her curves...I knew the defenses tactic and it wasn't going to work.

My head shot to Jill. "You see this shit she got on? I just know—"

"Baby, I know, I know," Jill breathed, validating my frustration.

The bailiff walked in front of the judges seat. "All rise!" Beyoncé stood very slowly, trying to show off; I felt what she was trying to do.

"How does the defendant plead?" The judge asked.

"Not guilty, your Honor."

No fucking way.

Just before we were allowed to be seated, Beyoncé's head turned in our direction, winking at me then mouthing something I couldn't quite grasp. I wanted to leap over every seat and get my hands on her. I looked at Jill though, remembering the family I had to be there for. I must've slipped into a deep dissociation once again because the next thing I remember was seeing the defense call Nicki to the stand.

You can't be serious.

My head cocked to the side and even Hazel asked why her "Aunt Nicki" was up on the stand. Nicki and I haven't spoken in years; when the situation with Normani and I started popping off, Nicki was always distant. Then a few years ago she finally separated herself from my family and started throwing slick shots at me in her music and on social media. I didn't have time for the bullshit. But my main concern in the moment was why she was on the stand...for the defense.

My leg was shaking more now because under no circumstance, Nicki should not have been up there.

The defense attorney walked towards the stand. " Good morning, Nicki. Can I call you, Nicki?"

"Yes, that's fine."

"Tell me about the night of May 20, 2019?"

"Megan...Ms. Pete... came home from the hospital after being in a coma for almost three weeks and she ended up passing out once she saw us."

I was irritated. "It's Mrs. Pete-Scott!"

"Mrs. Scott, if you have an outburst, you will have to leave the courtroom." The judge banged his gavel, sneering at me. I folded my arms like my children—quiet.