Chapter 10

A/N This chapter will be a little shorter than the last few. I will be rewriting the first few chapters. Change them a little bit to fit the plot better. Since I started this story after taking a break my writing style has changed. I hope to make this story better by doing so.

"Where to boss?" I hopped on to his back and combed through his mane. There was straw everywhere on him.

"Why do you have so much hay on you?"

"I was down at the stables and they had fresh hay."

"Take me upstate somewhere, away from any towns."

"Sure thing boss." With a few strong flaps of his wings Blackjack was airborne. We flew off of Mount Olympus. The speed that we were moving made my stomach flip. I best not look down. Blackjack started to descend to a more reasonable height; albeit for a son of Poseidon.

As we got closer to the ground the city noises become more apparent, however as we continued flying outside of the city the noises became nothing more than a wisp of wind passing by us. Akin to the noises in the city, so did the city lights.

Farther outside of the city the air began to freshen up. Personally it was too dark for me to see anything however Blackjack normally had a pretty good sense of what is on the ground. With the city just vanishing over the horizon we entered the real forests. They were very dense, if it was light out, I doubt that I would be able to see the forest floor.

Eventually Blackjack came across a clearing in the trees. After passing by it he turned around sharply. "Blackjack, what just happened?"

"Found a spot boss."

Blackjack was able to glide down into the clearing and finally hit the ground. Blackjack must've been too tired to do anything else, because as soon as I got off his back he laid down and fell into a relaxing sleep. Not sure of what else to do, I took my backpack off and laid it down under my head.

I soon to was drifting away into the realm of Morpheus.

When I awoke there was a twig snap next to me. I squinted my eyes and saw a small animal. Not sure of what it was, I just rose up from my slumber to find Blackjack snoring on the ground incoherently mumbling about doughnuts. The animal scurried off.

Taking a look around it was evident that we were in a very dense forest. The clearing was just large enough for Blackjack to comfortably land in it. There were trees on all sides and the sound of water coming from the East.

It was just at this moment that Blackjack decided to get up, "Boss go back to sleep." He grumbled

"No." I looked over at him sternly

"Whatever boss." Blackjack stood up and pranced over to me. "Can I go back?" He questioned looking at me seriously.

I looked at him. Scratching his nose I nodded. "Sure thing buddy. Say hello to everyone for me."

He took a couple flaps and lifted off. Grunting in response. Looking up at him one last time before he flew off, he sneezed, dropping snot right next to me. I was just barely able to dodge it.

Not knowing where else to go I walked off in the direction of the water. The underbrush wasn't very thick, however there were many fallen trees. I started to regret my decision to have Blackjack drop me off here. There was almost nothing.

After some more walking I found the water. It was a small stream that flowed down a slight hill. There was another small clearing next to the stream. I plopped down and took my backpack off.

Taking a slight glance around I just further confirmed my suspicions. I couldn't see past the trees in this forest. Not having even the slightest idea of what to do out here I decided to meditate.\

An odd choice, considering I have ADHD however it should help with focus or something.

Long story short it didn't help. Grunting in dissatisfaction I stood up and put my backpack back on. I heard another twig snap behind me. Grabbing Riptide I spun around and faced whatever was there.

Turns out it was a small hare. I sighed in relief. "You nearly gave me a heart attack." I said to the rabbit. It looked at me funnily and hopped off.

Just as I was about to give up on the forest, I remembered–when Hestia gave me her blessing, she said I had powers. Unfortunately, she did not know what they were.

I winced at the thought; however, Annabeth was able to teach me a considerable amount about the council and their domains. 'Hestia–goddess of the hearth and home.'

While remembering the domains was the easy part, what they consisted of was the hard part. Fire. That wasn't hard. But there had to be something more. But why not just focus on the task that is at hand–fire.

Concentrating all of my energy into my palms a small spark appeared. "Woohoo." I shouted in excitement. Focusing even more, a small fire started. But that was the farthest I got.

After multiple attempts I eventually was about to give up before one last try. And just as I was about to give up another small flame ignited. Realizing what I had just done, the flame got larger and larger, till it was about a foot tall.

But now came the problem of extinguishing it. Not knowing what else to do I clenched my fist. The fire just stopped. Taking another glance around I realized that I completely lost track of time, The sun was starting to set. Rushing up I grabbed some fallen tree branches and brought them over to the clearing. I was able to break a few of them in half to make them smaller.

Once again concentrating on my palm a small fire came out of it. It was a small fire, but it was just enough to light the sticks. The fire gradually started to grow. Tossing more sticks on to the I gazed up at the quickly darkening sky. The moon started to grow brighter as if providing light for me. I had run out of sticks and the fire was beginning to die down. I repositioned my backpack to fit in behind my head and looked at my palm in wonder. This newfound ability was definitely going to be helpful, especially with what Zeus wanted me to do.

Attempting again to light a small fire in my hands one last time today, I concentrated however with the abundance of stars in the sky I began to lose my concentration. I let my mind drift. Eventually something started to materialize in my hand; and it wasn't fire.

A/N

Cliffhanger

Word count:1160