Chapter 30

A/N

This is the chapter of the big battle. I am going to do something that will probably make all of you really angry, but the plot needs it. Besides I still need to make up for the Poseidon POV in chapter 26.

Percy POV

I awoke, walked down to the gym/arena in Artemis' palace. Trained for a few hours, ate and trained some more then went to sleep. Today however was the day that the whole battle was supposed to go down. It was May 24.

Supposedly the Vulcan and Hephaestus campers all set up defenses. Around the main entrance around the elevator. There was a field probably a hundred yards across and seventy five yards deep that was all surrounded by walls and fortifications.

For the short timespan that they had to construct all of this, it was impressive. We were going to draw them in by making them take the elevator. Hopefully our archers would be able to take out each wave of attackers as they got out of the elevator. We have no way of telling how large their attacking force is, so it is easier to take them out wave by wave.

There were defenses farther up the streets of Olympus, should these ones fail. I unslung my bow and climbed up a ladder to see what was happening. At the moment, there was nobody in the elevator, or coming up it. However, the streets of New York had thousands of monsters marching through them.

It was like Olympus was the heart and each street held monsters like arteries and veins. Several other archers climbed up the ladders too. Beside me stood Artemis and Apollo. On either side of them stood the hunters or Apollo kids. We all readied our bows as the elevator said it was ascending.

We all looked on as the numbers ticked by as it increased from one to five hundred. When the elevator dinged we practically jumped out of our skins. Out stepped ten or so monsters carrying shields.

I looked to my left to see Artemis grasping her bow itching to fire. "Archers ready!" Apollo called out.

I steadied my hand and prepared to fire. "FIRE!" Apollo shouted. All of a sudden, dozens of arrows started to rain down on the monsters.

After just a few seconds, they were all decimated, leaving only golden dust where they just stood. The elevator doors closed and it started to move back down; the numbers decreased.

I readied another arrow, but didn't draw my bow back. The numbers hit one and a few moments later they started to climb back up. When the number hit five hundred the elevator dinged and out stepped Atlas, Orion and ten or so monsters. "Ready," Apollo called out. "Fire!" We release a barrage of arrows, killing the monsters instantly, but Atlas and Orion stood there being peppered with arrows.

After a few seconds Orion seemed to notice what was happening, and cried out in pain, collapsing to the ground, but Atlas ran back to the elevator and hid behind a shield. We kept firing, until a golden light could be seen in the middle of the open area.

We watched in horror as a hundred and fifty or so monsters were flashed to the clearing. "Fire!" Apollo yelled out again. The monsters charred at our fortifications.

I momentarily stopped firing and ordered the cohorts around. "First and third cohorts, go through the gate and attack the monsters!" I shouted out.

Hopping down, I ran through the gate, leading the cohorts through and into the fray. I uncapped Riptide and summoned my armor, slashing at anything that moved. The archers provided support, as I buzzed through the monsters in an attempt to reach the elevator. There was a trail of golden dust behind me as I reached the elevator.

I stepped inside and ripped the shield from Atlas. He cowered in the corner as ichor gushed from several wounds. Without a second thought, I drew my dagger and plunged it through his jugular.