《Short Story》Leo sings (3/6)

The girl held in her hands a gleaming, luxurious fabric—Sabaran, so beautiful that even from a distance its luster was evident.

Stitching together several varieties of this extravagantly priced fabric without hesitation, it was a piece so opulent that it could buy ten carriages with just one piece.

Moreover, the largest area of fabric at the hem was adorned with the apple blossom motif of the Marquis' household, meticulously embroidered.

It was a unique masterpiece in the world, a handmade shawl of breathtaking beauty and exorbitant value. Its price in fabric alone amounted to three gold coins—yet considering the exquisite embroidery, the beautiful hues, and its rarity, it was beyond pricing.

"Well...!"

Even Emilia, accustomed to luxury as the Marchioness, was momentarily at a loss for words.

She gazed at the shawl in awe, then moistened her eyes and questioned the girl, "Is this truly yours?"

"Yes. I'm sorry, there's a bit of thread sticking out at the hem of the lining."

"Don't be silly. It's crafted with such skill that it could be mistaken for the work of a palace seamstress. The gradient of different-colored fabrics, the delicate embroidery... truly, how magnificent..."

Her sense and talent were enough to make one sigh in admiration. Leo, watching Emilia fondle the shawl, also breathed a sigh of relief.

(Phew. Well, as long as Lady Emilia likes it, that's good.)

Although he had proposed the idea himself, Leo had felt a twinge of concern when Adela presented her with an intricately crafted piece of goldwork that seemed almost drool-worthy.

Even though he was younger, a lavish gemstone gift versus a zero-cost shawl made from leftover fabrics didn't seem quite balanced.

(When it comes to birthday presents, I tend to fixate on keeping the cost at zero, being an orphanage director and all. But still... quite a difference from Lady Adela's gift. I'm sorry, Lady Emilia.)

Leo was unaware of the value of Sabaran.

Well, regardless, with Emilia or Emilia's granddaughter being so delighted and the people around them impressed, Leo decided to be content with the outcome for now.

The only one not feeling well about the situation was Adela.

"W-What is this...?"

She watched the scene unfolding before her in dismay.

(What's going on...? How can a mere student, a child from the lower district, produce such a magnificent item!?)

For instance, the fabric. Even Adela, who owned only a few pieces of Sabaran, knew that it would take the financial power of royalty, not unlike her, to use nearly ten different varieties so lavishly.

And then there was the embroidery. Not only was the design exceptional, but the delicacy of it was something that only a seasoned seamstress—someone who had been doing needlework daily for many years—could achieve.

Despite having spent most of her life in the lower district, Adela seemed to have acquired a much more elegant way of spending money than the nobles around her, and even mastered the skills to compete with palace seamstresses.

(Could this be... the result of Lady Claudia's bloodline...!?)

Claudia, the tragic heiress and the rose of high society, who had been constantly compared to Adela since her arrival.

Adela had always told herself that Claudia was merely glorifying the dead, but this was beyond expectation.

(Am I... unable to match up to her... to Lady Claudia...?)

Attempting to display the inherent difference between a noble-born and an orphan, Adela found herself overwhelmed by an astonishing gap. Her entire body trembled with the realization.

(This situation cannot be allowed to continue...!)

Adela clenched her fists under the table, feeling she had to retaliate against the girl who had surpassed her expectations at every turn.

Originally, the plan was to embarrass the girl by making her late and, incidentally, by providing inadequate gifts. However, the girl had not only circumvented all of Adela's schemes but had also used them to enhance her reputation. This was unacceptable.

Adela had forgotten her initial goal of regaining her authority and was now consumed with the desire to simply strike back at the girl.

(Yes, I have something—my ultimate weapon of song...!)

Her pride and joy, her voice, which had brought her a good marriage despite her hopeless situation. The volume that could shatter glass with enough force.

(As a lady, I have taken lessons in voice acoustics. I have honed my talent by listening to various songs, regardless of their style or era. Surely, with this, the girl doesn't stand a chance!)

Instead of resorting to convoluted methods like humiliating her in a gift competition, Adela realized she should have challenged her to a singing contest from the beginning.

So, confident in her superiority, Adela decided in a moment that she would not just sing and be done with it—she would also make the girl sing, and then she would demonstrate her perfect singing to show the decisive difference.

(Let's see how this plays out...)

With a determined look, Adela opened her lips, adorned with a dark red shade of lipstick.

"I understand. If everyone insists on it so much... I will sing."

"Hooray!"

"But..."

Adela gazed at the girl, who was joyously celebrating, and gently spoke with a coaxing tone.

"I would feel lonely singing alone. Leonora, you should sing too."

"Oh, what a splendid idea, Adela!"

"............Huh?"

While Emilia and her husband applauded Adela's suggestion, the girl's face stiffened. This was evidence that even a girl as remarkable as her wasn't particularly adept at singing.

Internally, Adela raised a victorious fist, pretending to be cheerful as she pushed the girl into a corner.

"It would be the perfect gift from your daughter-in-law and grand daughter for your birthday, wouldn't it? Don't worry, Leonora. I'm sure your mother-in-law will be delighted with any song you choose."

"Yes, yes, I think so too."

As Emilia cheerfully insisted, the girl, with a strained expression, was about to decline.

"Oh, no! Don't say that. I also want to hear your singing. A birthday present of a song from my grand daughter would make it the best day ever."

"Um, excuse me, I... singing is a bit..."

"Oh, don't say that. I haven't heard your voice in a while. It would be lovely to have a birthday present of a song from my granddaughter."

"Well, um, okay..."

The girl reluctantly agreed as Emilia encouraged her. Adela took full advantage of this situation.

"It will surely surpass even that shawl as the best gift."

Setting the bar high.

Then the girl muttered something under her breath.

"...Better than the shawl..."

After a moment of contemplation, when she raised her head again, there was a look of determination in her purple eyes.

"I understand. In that case, I will sing."

It was the moment the gathering to celebrate Emilia's birthday shifted from "Emilia's birthday celebration" to "Leonora vs. Adela Singing Contest."