Chapter 7

I look around before following him like I'm about to sneak out of a classroom. He leads me to a rusty, isolated roof top door, away from the bar and prying eyes. We climb down a narrow staircase that leads us to the back exit of the building. It feels good and exciting like we are doing something illegal, like I'm a teenager again.

We walk a few avenues talking casually. I'm amazed at how relaxed I feel being with him.
We find ourselves at Rockerfella center. The place is crowded with tourists and people trying to get a glimpse and take pictures of the big Christmas tree who's tradition started during the depression in 1931 and popularized in 1997 when they started broadcasting the lighting.
He takes my hand and starts jostling his way through the crowd. When we manage to escape the crowd, something cold and slushy hits my forehead. I wipe and look up.

"Is that...."

"Yep, it's starting to rain." He says and raises his hand trying to hail a taxi, but everyone is scampering away or trying to get a taxi for themselves. About five taxies drive past us. The rain is starting to get heavy enough to get us soaked and there's no where to seek shelter near us. By the time a taxi stops for us, we are soaking wet and freezing.

"We can't go to a restaurant like this," Stiles says when we get in a taxi as if it wasn't obvious. "My apartment isn't far from here; we can go there and get warm and changed......I can even cook for you.... If you don't mind."

He looks kind of guilty, maybe even sad, like he caused the rain. I smile at him, trying hard to keep my teeth from chattering.

"I'm happy to go anywhere warm." I say.

He gives the taxi driver his address, '111 west 57th street,' then wraps his arm around me. I lay my head on his shoulder seeking his warmth. I feel safe in his arms and comfortable...... maybe too comfortable for a married woman. I don't remember the last time another man who wasn't my husband or dad held me like this.

                                                          *****

I walk out of the bathroom wearing a long sweatshirt he lent me and some long white socks. I took a quick shower when we arrived at the apartment. I was so cold; all I could think of was warmth. I didn't pay attention to how beautiful..., fancy.... rich his apartment is. How spectacular the Central Park landscape and Manhattan view is from the apartments floor to ceiling windows. I'm in awe and my mouth must be wide open.

When I turn around, Stiles flinches a little. Did I just catch him watching me?

He has two wine bottles in his hands.

"Red or white?" He asks

"White." I say and resume my gawking at the view and apartment itself. I'm not even ashamed to show him that I'm amazed. The city lights.... Everything looks like he clipped it from a magazine and made a wallpaper to cover on his windows, it's unreal. The apartment is huge with mostly expensive looking white furniture, sculptures, paintings and chandeliers.

"This place is incredible," I say as he hands me a glass of wine.

"Thank you, it used to be my grandmothers, but she doesn't like New York much, so she moved to London."

"Where can I get myself such a grandmother?" I joke. He gives me a small smile.

"She comes from old money. Then she became a successful actress, quit acting and became a successful property investor. She's retired now." He sips his wine, "Most of my family members and relatives are very successful. They have very loud careers, that's why I chose a quiet one for my own peace."