Chapter 9

Hailee

Monday morning , I'm in my office when Kelly walks in smiling from ear to ear.

"Stiles is here for you...... he wants to talk to you," she says looking excited.

My heart Skips.

"Me?" I ask acting surprised. Well, I'm a little surprised, but not too surprised considering how I left Friday night.

"I'll be right there."

I sigh deeply when she walks out. I don't know how to face him, what to say or what to expect. My heart is racing. I take a few deep breaths and walk out of my office. He's standing at the side of the counter looking at his phone, away from the line of customers. He looks good in a charcoal gray suit, white shirt, no tie. He looks calm and relaxed.......powerful even. Like a man who knows his worth, confident and sexy. This doesn't boost my confidence.

"Mr. Williams!" I exclaim animatedly as I approach him, "Good morning."

"Good morning, Hailee," he says pensively. I can't read his face.

"How can I help you," I ask trying to sound as professional as possible, especially for my employees who I know even though they are acting busy serving customers, their ear antennas are pointed my direction.

"Can I have a word with you?" He asks. He looks serious, and it makes me a little nervous.

"Of course."

I step away from the counter and lead him away from the coffee shop..... away from anyone's ear shot.

"Mr. Willams unh?" He smirks with raises brows.

"You prefer Stiles?"

"From you, yes."

I feel so out of breath and hot standing next to him. The memory of .... The way he....... Not now .... Not now, focus!

"How can I help you, Stiles?" I ask and clear my throat uncomfortably. He is a beautiful man; I swear I don't know how I got the courage to leave with him,  late alone sleep with him. I feel small and insignificant in-front of him. He is so out of my league and I'm sure he's here to remind me of that.

"I want to apologize about what transpired Friday night......"

"No, I should be the one apologizing," I cut in, "I shouldn't have left the way I did without saying goodbye....... I ...... I ...... I was ...... I just....... I panicked.... I shouldn't have ...... done what we did," I lower my voice, "I'm married Stiles."

"I know," he says casually, "I know Hailee, that's why I'm here to apologize for overstepping my boundaries. You must know that nothing that happened that night was premeditated. I didn't plan any of it."

"It's okay, I didn't think you planned it," I say and look back at the coffee shop. The line of customers is getting longer.

"I have to go," I say.

"Can I at least call you...."

"We can't do that again Stiles."

"I know," he rubs his face, "I just want you to hear me out."

"A little help hear Hailee!" Kelly calls out. Three of my employees have called out sick, we are short staffed and Monday morning is the busiest day of the week.

"I really have to go."

"Your number please."

"It's .... 197, 2...." I can't remember my number. I start again but get stuck on the same first four digits. I'm anxious seeing him here and its rush hour. I can't seem to think.

"Give me yours," I say, giving him my order book I had in my apron. He writes his number, and I rush back to the counter.

                              Stiles

"Stiles.... Stiles!" Adam, my friend and assistant yells, jolting me out of my stupor.

"Are you even listening to me?"

I'm not

"Of course," I lie.

"You've been checking and staring at that phone a lot lately. Are you expecting an important phone call?"

"No."

"Did someone finally sweep you off your feet?"

"Nope," I say and grab a manuscript I'm working on.

"I'm gonna work from home today."

It's been three days since I gave Hailee my number, and she hasn't called or sent me a text. It has left me desperately checking my phone. I feel a little confused too. Not to be conceited, but women don't normally ignore me and for this long. Married or not. I've found myself wondering if I gave her a wrong number. I figured out her personal number, but it would be creepy as fuck if I called her, and I don't want to seem desperate by going back to her coffee shop to ask why she hasn't called me.

I really want to apologize to her. The scary part is I feel like that's not entirely why I so desperately want to speak to her. I feel like I'm lying to myself.

                          Hailee

It's been a week since I got Stiles's number. Since the night at his apartment, I've been feeling guilty, like I committed a crime. I've been looking at his number every day. I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to keep it, but I can't seem to let it go either. That night replays in my head like a song on repeat.

"Hailee, I asked you a question," Sam says.

"I'm sorry what was the question?"

He looks at me.

"You seem distracted...."

"I didn't think the recipe would be this complicated," I lie.

"Just relax, I've seen you do more challenging recipes than this one. And if it doesn't work out on this trial, it's fine, no one even knows about it yet."

"You're right. What was your question again?"

"How much sugar?" He asks.

"Two cups," I say.

I'm thinking of introducing a new pastry to my coffee shop and Sam is helping me by prepping ingredients. He's having one of those days when he remembers we are married and tries to be present in my life. Well at least that's how it feels to me.

"Do you ever feel guilty after....... You know...... meeting with the women?" I ask after putting pastry dough in the oven.