Chapter 25

As though it knew that December had drawn upon it, snow had coated the grounds of Hogwarts. Violet was a bundle of excitement at the fact, having always loved the beauty of Hogwarts in the snow. Anticipation hung heavy in the air as the Yule Ball drew closer. Most people had secured their dates by now, including Lee who was overjoyed that Kenneth Towler had accepted his invitation. Daphne, who had rejected five boys invitations, had agreed to go with George who had finally worked up the courage to ask her and she had not stopped gushing to Violet about it since. Violet didn't mind listening to Daphne babble on about the ball, or the few secret kisses she'd stolen with George since their game of truth or dare. She was happy for her, it had been the first time Daphne had taken the idea of a relationship seriously and not just for a one night stand since her traumatic relationship with Beau.

"Calm down, Vi, it's just a bit of snow." Lee laughed, as she practically bounced up and down on their walk to their Potions class.

"I can't! There's just something about the snow that makes me feel so alive." She replied.

"I know something that will make you feel alive, wanna skip potions and see?" Fred whispered in her ear, causing a pink blush to creep onto her cheeks. Since their date, Fred had been entirely infatuated with Violet. Even more so that usual. They'd been back to the shrieking shack on several occasions now, and if it was up to Fred they'd skip the rest of the year at Hogwarts and spend it there instead.

Violet had told Daphne all about the loss of her virginity after the first tournament, which Harry had won. Daphne had squealed with happiness, asking for all of the details which Violet willingly relayed to her.

"Violet!" One of the Durmstrang students called, as she stepped into the potions classroom.

"Hi." She replied politely, as her friends took their seats. Fred sent her an immature scowl as she stopped to see what the older student wanted. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good, thank you. I just wanted to say that you look beautiful today. I've been watching you since I came here, and I know you're dating somebody but I was wondering if you'd want to go to the ball with me?" He asked hopefully.

"Oh, um sorry but I'm actually going with my boyfriend." Violet replied awkwardly, glancing over to her friends. Daphne, Lee and George were all giggling at Fred who had gone red with rage.

"Oh, boyfriend? I didn't realise you were serious with him. Are you sure? I'm sure after a night with me you wouldn't have much need for him anymore. English boys aren't like us Romanian men, you see. They can't give the same... Animalistic experience. The things I want to do to you would change your life." He said confidently. Violet's eyes widened. She was lost for words and feeling slightly sick at his crudeness.

"I'm extremely sure, thanks." Violet replied, frowning at him and turning her back on him to sit by Fred, who had his fists clenched so hard his knuckles had turned white. "I have no idea what that was about." She chuckled, as she started to gather the ingredient's she'd need for todays potion from her bag.

"He's been staring at you since he got here, surely you've noticed? Have you spoken to him before today?" Fred snapped.

"No I haven't noticed. And of course I haven't fucking talked to him before today." She argued back.

"Well, it seems like he thinks he knows you pretty fucking well." Fred retorted.

"Knows me well? What in that conversation makes you think he knows me well? I don't even know his bloody name!"

Fred went silent, clearly fuming at the conversation he'd overheard. Their friends all shifted awkwardly, and the tension didn't fade throughout the lesson. Fred was in a foul mood, completely destroying his potion as he carelessly tipped in random ingredients and barely speaking a word to anyone, despite George and Lee's attempts to lighten his mood.