Chapter 13: Jet

YOU, KATARA, SOKKA, and Aang stroll through a red forest, now looking brighter as the next day starts.

The new morning light filters through the trees, casting a warm glow on the path.

Walking beside Katara, you notice an unusual feeling in the air. Something you've never felt before, let alone while sharing space with another person.

She's quiet, more so than usual, and she glances at you occasionally before quickly looking away. You're not sure what to make of it. Emotions and their meanings are a bit of a mystery to you, and this odd climate leaves you feeling awkward and uncertain.

Suddenly, your hands brush against each other. You pull away quickly, unsure if it's because you felt something or if you're just trying to avoid making things weird.

Katara: "Sorry... I didn't mean to..." She stammers, her cheeks flushing.

Y/N: "No, it's fine. I mean, it's... okay." You nod, equally flustered.

Sokka breaks the silence with his usual bluntness, though his words hint at brotherly protectiveness. "So, Y/N, now that you're out of the firebender closet and all... What's the deal with you kissing my sister? I mean, seriously, did you forget she's my sister?"

Aang: "Sokka, chill out. You know Katara told us they kissed, and you know he doesn't mean anything by it. We all agreed to forgive Y/N; there's no point in getting mad again."

Sokka: "Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Aang: "And let's be honest; they're a cute couple, aren't they?" He adds with a grin.

Y/N: "Cute... couple? We're a couple? Does that mean-" You blink, trying to process what Aang said.

Katara: "C-Can we focus on finding Momo?" She interrupts, her voice a bit higher than usual.

Just then, Aang gasps as he spots three animals in cage traps hanging by rope on tree limbs.

Aang: "Hang on, Momo!" He uses his airbending to glide to the top of the tree, jumping from trunk to trunk to get higher.

He finds the traps' mechanisms, undoes them, and carefully lowers Momo to the ground where you, Katara, and Sokka are waiting.

You open the trap together, and the lemur runs out with a lychee nut in his mouth.

You all look on as Momo gets on his hind legs and eats it like nothing has happened.

Sokka grunts in frustration and facepalms. When Aang lands, he looks up to see the other two animals ostensibly begging him for help.

Aang: "All right, you too." He jumps up to free the other animals.

Sokka: "This is gonna take forever." He throws his boomerang to cut the animals free simply.

Inching his way upside-down to the traps on the tree branch, Aang watches as they fall before he can reach them.

Aang: "That works." The hog monkeys run off, and Aang slides down from the tree, dirt flying from the ground as he lands. Everyone gathers around the now-empty traps, and you kneel to examine them.

Y/N: "These are Fire Nation traps."

Sokka: "I was just going to say the same thing. We'd better head back to Appa and pack up camp; we have to get moving."

Everyone nods in agreement, and the group starts making their way back.

Once everyone reaches Appa, you pack your things onto Appa's saddle.

Sokka: "Uh-uh! No flying this time." He declares, taking charge.

Aang: "What? Why wouldn't we fly?" He looks confused, tilting his head.